Read the headlines – opportunities to improve the health of populations locally, nationally and globally abound! A degree in public health will allow you to study a concern that impacts many (cardiovascular disease, suicide, obesity, environmental health and more), provides you with the skills to confront complex health issues from a prevention- population based approach and provides an understanding of how culture impacts health (understanding behavior, health communication, program management, cultural competence). Students will explore domains that influence health – age, sex, hereditary factors, individual behaviors, social and community influences, living and working conditions, socioeconomic/cultural/environmental conditions and health law and policies.
Contribute to the public health successes (clean water, vaccinations, control of infectious disease, reduction in tobacco usage) by becoming a public health professional. A graduate can work for the government (local, state and federal health agencies), private sector health organizations, industry, non-profit health organizations or continue your path to graduate or professional school.
- Low student to teacher ratio in the classroom
- Interdisciplinary approach to public health problems
- Highly skilled and educated faculty who are readily available to you
- Mission trip and study abroad opportunities
- Abundant internship opportunities customized to your career path
- A rigorous and practical curriculum designed to meet the public health workforce needs
Prospective students must apply for admission to Samford University. Additionally, student applicants must be accepted to into the Public Health program.
High school graduates and transfer students with fewer than 24 semester credits or 36 quarter credits must do the following:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Have a composite ACT score of 21 or SAT score of 1000
- Completed four units of English, two units of math, and two units of lab sciences with a grade of C (2.0) or better
We cannot issue an I-20 for this program at this time.
Our public health graduates are fully prepared to enter the public health workforce or continue to graduate/professional school.
Our Commitment to You
Each and every faculty member at Samford University is committed to your success. We pledge to guide you through this journey as you answer your calling.