Fast Track Master of Social Work
Earn your M.S.W. in just five years with our Fast Track Master of Social Work. Undergraduate students from select majors are eligible to participate in a fast-track option that allows students to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in their selected major and a Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) after just five years of study. The first three years are dedicated to completion of all required undergraduate courses. Students then enroll in M.S.W. courses during their senior year of undergraduate studies; the M.S.W. courses they complete during that year also satisfy general and directed undergraduate elective requirements, allowing them to graduate with a bachelor’s degree after four years of study. A final year of graduate coursework leads to completion of the M.S.W. Participation in this program requires careful advisement and scheduling, as well as permission of both the undergraduate department chair and the chair of the Department of Social Work.
The Samford University M.S.W. program is a distinctively Christian learning community that prepares graduates for lives of service as advanced social workers who promote healing, wholeness, and reconciliation. The program offers concentrations in Clinical Social Work and Global Community Development and prepares graduates to serve in fields such as clinical, medical, and hospice social work; human services administration; child welfare; community organizing; and international relief.
Undergraduate Majors Eligible for the Fast Track M.S.W. include:
- Family Science
- Food and Nutrition
- Global Studies
- Health Sciences
Fast Track Program Enrollment:
It is important to fill out the Interest Form as soon as possible, so that we can help you stay on track with the courses you'll need to complete in order to participate in the Fast Track Program.
During your junior year, please fill out the Approval Form in order to request permission to enroll in MSW courses during your senior year.
Why Samford’s Fast Track M.S.W.?
- Allows completion of bachelor’s and master’s degrees in 5 years
- Begin M.S.W. courses during senior year of undergraduate study
- Student keeps all undergraduate scholarship and financial aid during through their senior year
- Highly educated and experienced faculty are readily available to you
Students must first be admitted to Samford University. To apply, visit our Admission site. Students must then meet the following requirements:
- Entering Requirements
- Indicate interest to Department Chair or Assistant Dean for Enrollment Management and Student Services during freshman year
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA throughout all coursework
- Progression Requirements
- Must earn B’s or better in all M.S.W. courses to be admitted into the graduate program
- Students who participate in the fast-track option apply for admission to the M.S.W. program during their final semester of coursework. If accepted, students are formally admitted to the M.S.W. program after the undergraduate degree is awarded
Graduates from the Master of Social Work program are prepared for a number of professional careers including:
- Case Manager
- Congregational Social Worker
- International Relief Worker
- Child Welfare Worker
- Foster Care/Adoption Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Clinical Social Worker
- Hospice Social Worker
- Nonprofit Director
- Clinical Supervisor
- Policy Analyst
- Community Organizer
Samford University's Master of Social Work Program was awarded full accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) in June 2017.
Plans of Study
The fast-track option with Samford's Master of Social Work is current available for undergraduate student pursuing a major in Family Science, Foods and Nutrition, Global Studies, Health Sciences, Psychology, Religion and Sociology.