Darin W. White, Ph.D. is the executive director for Samford University's Center for Sports Analytics. He also serves as chair of the Entrepreneurship, Management & Marketing Department and is the founding director of the sports marketing program in Samford's Brock School of Business.
White has crafted business relationships with some of the most prestigious sports organizations and corporate sponsors, including NFL, MLB, MLS, NBA, Dallas Cowboys, Bayern Munich, Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta United, Adidas, SEC, ACC, Nike, NASCAR, Atlanta Braves, Harlequins Rugby, Indy Car, Peach Bowl, PGA, Tampa Bay Lightning, MiLB, IFL, Coca Cola, Honda, BCBS, and Manchester United’s sponsor AON.
White is a highly sought resource for media seeking insights into sport business. His comments have appeared in media outlets including The Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated, The Washington Post, Forbes, USA Today, ESPN Radio, Mashable, Al Jazeera, Sports Business Daily, Bond Buyer, International Business Times, NPR, Bleacher Report, and the Capital Gazette. He serves as a judge for the Yahoo Sports Technology Awards gala, the "Oscars of Sports Technology" in London.
White has shared sports business analytics insights at dozens of industry events around the globe. He has been awarded the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Certificate of Recognition, has been an American Marketing Association Consortium Fellow, and won the Brock School of Business Outstanding Scholar Award & Faculty Member of the Year for undergraduate teaching.
White has served on numerous boards including the Alabama Sports Foundation, Daniel Summit and Youth Sports of the Americas. He has authored more than 60 journal articles and conference proceedings.
White spent 12 years as a college soccer coach and was named 2005 Coach of the Year by Adidas and National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NAIA south region). Two years earlier he led Union University men’s college soccer team to the 2003 NCCAA National Championship. His team also won the Buffalo Funds National Champions of Character Award the same season.
In his spare time, he enjoys coaching his youngest son's travel soccer team, traveling to Europe with his family to attend English football matches, teaching biblical theology utilizing the Bible Project content at his church, and taking theology classes at Beeson Divinity School in pursuit of a Master's of Theology.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., Marketing/Strategy University of Alabama
- M.A., Marketing/ Strategy, University of Alabama
- B.S., Business/Mathematics, Birmingham Southern College
- Sports Marketing; Sports Business; Sponsorship-Linked Marketing; Sports Analytics
- Generation Z Consumer Insights; Brand Personality Archetype Theory; Marketing Strategy Development
- Journal of Business Research
- Journal of Business Ethics
- Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management
- European Journal of Marketing
- Journal of Services Marketing
- Journal of Strategic Marketing
- Journal of Global Marketing
- Sports, Business & Management: An International Journal
- International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship
- Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies
- American Marketing Association Summer Conference
- American Marketing Association Winter Conference
- European Marketing Academy
- European Academy of Management
- Academy of Management
- Atlantic Marketing Conference
- Academy of Marketing Science
- Southern Marketing Association
- Cambridge University Sports & Society Conference
- University of Oregon Research Conference in Sports Marketing
- Cross-Cultural Research Conference
- University of London Economics & Psychology of Football Conference
- Association for Consumer Research
- Thought Leaders International Conference on Brand Management
- International Conference on Sports and Entertainment Business
- Society of Business Ethics Conference
- Organizational Science
- Contemporary Issues in Retailing and Marketing
- “Motivations for Engaging in Electronic Word-of-Mouth in a Social Networking Setting”
- “Self-Congruity and the MOA Framework: An Integrated Approach to Understanding Volunteer Participation in Social Cause Communities”
- “Understanding the Relationships Between Loyalty Program Rewards and Loyalty Among Premium Customers”
- “Stage of Change Readiness in Social Marketing”
- “The Significance of Personal Factors in the Service Quality Experienced by Customers and the Effect of Employee Psychological Empowerment on the Relationship”
- “Toward a Greater Understanding of Spirit at Work: A Model of Spirit at Work and Outcomes”
Selected Interviews for News Organizations