After serving as the dean of the Orlean Beeson School of Education for 12 years from 2005 until 2017, Jeanie Box is now a professor of early childhood education in the Teacher Education Department at Samford University. She teaches the Foundations of Education and the Early Childhood Literacy courses, and supervises student teachers. Her research interests include early childhood curriculum and instruction and literacy development in young children. She is currently a member of the ASRA Pre-K Task Force.
Box began her career at Samford University in 1990 as an assistant professor and later also served as the department chair and associate dean. Prior to coming to Samford, she taught kindergarten and first grade with the Birmingham City School system.
She is an active member in her church, the Women’s Committee of 100, and the Samford Bulldog Club.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D. early childhood education, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Ed.S. early childhood education, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.S. early childhood education, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- B.S. early childhood education, Auburn University
Awards and Honors
- Orlean Beeson Award, Samford University, 2019
- UAB School od Education Outstanding Graduate Alumni, 1997
- Macon Award for Teaching Excellence, Samford University, 1992
- Orlean Beeson School of Education Advisory Board
- Women's Committee of 100
- Alabama School Readiness Association Pre-School Task Force