Dr. Amy Hoaglund is a professor at Samford. Prior to teaching at Samford, Dr. Hoaglund was a second, third, and fourth grade fourth/fifth multi-age teacher at Leeds Elementary School in Leeds, Ala. For the past four years, Dr. Hoaglund and her colleague, Dr. Karen Birkenfeld, have created and managed a K-12/university partnership with Trace Crossings Elementary School in Hoover, Ala. This unique partnership seeks to increase involvement between teacher education and its K-12 stakeholders. Through this partnership, Samford hopes to better prepare teachers by immersing them into school culture early in their training. Many of the aspects of this partnership allow students to grow in teacher knowledge, pedagogy, professionalism, and leadership. Dr. Hoaglund's research interests include clinical partnerships, mentoring pre-service teachers, faith and vocation, Christian education, teacher preparation and teacher leadership.
She is married to Eric Hoaglund, a graduate of Cumberland School of Law, and is the busy mother of three girls.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D. Educational Leadership, Samford University
- Ed.S. Elementary Education, Samford University
- M.S.E. Elementary Education, Samford University
- B.S. Elementary Education, Jacksonville State University
- planning and instruction
- integrated arts
- children's literature
- language arts
- early literacy
Awards and Honors
- Spiritual Impact Award, Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education, 2014
- Leeds Elementary Teacher of the Year and Jefferson County Teacher of the Year nominee, Leeds Elementary, 1998
- National Sallie Mae Teacher of the Year, Leeds Elementary School, 1991
- Hoaglund, Amy, Birkenfeld, Karen & Box, Jean Ann.(2014) Professional learning communities: Creating a foundation for collaborative skills in pre-service teachers. Education
- Hoaglund, Amy, Birkenfeld, Karen, Bluiett, Tarsha. (2014) Data meeting model: Developing data focused pre-service teachers. Reading Improvement
- Hoaglund, Amy, Birkenfeld, Karen, Haralson, Michele & Little, David. (2011) The purposeful teacher: beginning the journey of intention. Educational Collaborative
- March, (2014) CAEP National Conference Partnering with a Purpose The Teaching Professor (2014) 20%, It's Not Just for Google Anymore!
- February, (2013) Preparing pre-service to engage with families and parents. Council on Family Relations; District Conference, Birmingham, AL.
- (November, 2012) Growing future teacher leaders. Alabama Association of Curriculum and Instruction; State Conference, Orange Beach, AL.
- (August, 2012) Partnering with a purpose. Association of Teacher Educators; National Conference; Boston, MA.
- (August, 2011) Pre-service teachers’ attitudes concerning authentic problem solving within a professional learning community model. Association of Teacher Educators; National Conference; Philadelphia. PA