Dr. Monique Witherspoon is associate dean and associate professor in the educational leadership department. Previous to her position at Samford, Dr. Witherspoon served as president and CEO of Girls Incorporated of Central Alabama. Her years of education experience ranges from the university setting, University of Alabama at Birmingham and Queens University, to a multitude of leadership roles in K-12 education.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D. Educational Leadership, Gardner Webb University
- Ed.S. Educational Leadership, Winthrop University
- M.Ed. Counselor Education, South Carolina State University
- B.S. Psychology
Awards and Honors
- Girls Inc Leadership Award
- Vulcan Spear Community Award
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated Community Service Award
- NCMSA Region 6 Superintendent of the Year
- Who's Who for Executive and Professional Women
- Signature Ambassador Award – Mary McLeod Bethune Humanitarian Network
- "A Growth Strategy: Getting to the Academic Achievement Conversation." Presentation given at the Girls Incorporated Regional Conferences. October 2,9 and November 2013.
- "Summer Programs That Work." Television segment for the Alabama Public Television Network. July 26, 2012.
- "Building and Sustaining Healthy Communities." Presentation given at the Birmingham Alabama Community Leaders Institute. Birmingham, Alabama May 18-19, 2012.
- "Birmingham Summer Learning Forum." Presentation given at the Burr and Forman Law Firm Birmingham, Alabama. April 26, 2012.
- "The Power of Collective Wisdom for Teacher Leaders." Presentation given at ASCD Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. March 25, 2012.
- American Association of School Administrators
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- American Association for Personnel Administrators
- Southwest Alliance of Personnel Administrators
- The Womens’ Network
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
- Links Incorporated of Birmingham
- Jack and Jill of Birmingham
- MOMENTUM Women’s Leadership Organization
- United Way Bold Goals Education Coalition
- National Association of Summer Learning
- Women's Committee of 100
- Leadership Birmingham