2023: Genetics & Genomics: Medical, Ethical and Social Implications
- Ethical Aspects: An Overview of Human Identity
Dennis Sansom, Ph.D., professor emeritus, Samford University
- Genomics Aspects: An Overview of Genomics and Precision Medicine
Pellegrino Awardee: Bruce Korf, M.D., Ph.D., professor and associate dean, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Pharmacogenomic Aspects: Chronic Disease Aspects and Pharmacogenomics
Nita A. Limdi, Pharm.D., Ph.D., M.S.P.H., FAHA, professor and associate director of Precision Medicine Institute, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Ethics Considerations and the International Governance of Human Genome Editing: Prospects or Pipe Dream?
Pellegrino Awardee: Jeffrey Kahn, Ph.D., M.P.H., Andreas C. Dracopoulos Director of Berman Institute of Bioethics, Johns Hopkins University
- Medical Aspects: Human Identity and Medicine
Pellegrino Awardee: Farrell Mendelsohn, M.D., cardiologist and director of the Center for Therapeutic Angiogenesis, research investigator, Cardiology, P.C.
- Genetic Counseling Aspects: Genetic Testing Challenges and Counseling Considerations
Kelly East, M.S., CGC, vice president of Educational Outreach, HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
- Faith, Health Care and Genetic Testing: Diagnosed with a Rare Disease: How One Family Navigates the Unknown
Renie Moss, parent and advocate for children with neurofibromatosis
2022: Coming out of the Pandemic: Where are we Mentally?
- Ethical Aspects: Why Should We Do the Moral Thing: For Reason or Love? Dennis Sansom, Ph.D ., Samford University's Department of Philosophy
- Nurse Aspects: The Nursing Profession’s Mental Health and Wellbeing: COVID-19 Impacts Stephanie Wynn, D.N.P., RN-BC , PMHNP, Samford University's Nurse Practitioner Department
- Psychologist Aspects: The COVID pandemic and acclimating during prolonged crises Josh Klapow, Ph.D ., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Legal Aspects: Public Health Mandates and the Law Frank McPhillips, J.D ., Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C.
- Pharmacist Aspects: The Interplay Between COVID-19 and Psychotropic Medication Use Marshall Cates, Pharm.D., BCPP, FASHP, FCCP , McWhorter School of Pharmacy
- Social Worker Aspects: Caring for the Caregivers: Impact of the Pandemic on the Profession of Social Work Lisa Baker, Ph.D., LCSW , Samford University's Department of Social Work
2019: Medical Marijuana: Its Benefits and Risks to Society
- "The Changing Legal and Ethical Contexts of Medical Marijuana and CBD" by David Smolin, J.D., Samford University
- "Medical Cannabis: What is the Evidence for its use?" by Tyler Gaston, M.D., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- "Real Medicines Have Real Risks: Marijuana's Potential Health Hazards Explained" by Erik Messamore, M.D., Ph.D., Northeast Ohio Medical University
- "Impact of the Agriculture Improvement Act" by Scott Gottlieb, M.D., American EnterpriceInstitute and 23rd Commissioner fo the US Food and Drug Administration (2017-2019)
- "Suffering, Marijuana, and the Goals of Medicine" by Farr Curlin, M.D., Duke University
- "Medical and recreational marijuana laws: effects on marijuana and opiod outcomes in the US adolescent and adult population" by Silvia Martins, M.D., Ph.D., Columbia University
2018: The Ethics of Access to Health Care: Are We Doing Too Much or Too Little
- "Biblical Framework for Caring for the Poor" by Dennis Sansom, Ph.D.
- "The Ethics of Access to Health Care: Evidence from the World Cities Project" by Michael K. Gusmano, Ph.D., Hastings Center for Bioethics
- "Ethics of Access to Care from a Hospital/Health-System Perspective" by Keith Parrott, CEO, Brookwood Baptist Health
- Ethics of Access to Care: Local Approaches and Considerations, Panel of Birmingham Area Health Care CEOs
2017: Effective Pain Management in an Era of Opioid Abuse
- "The Nature of the Soul, Addiction, and the Seven Deadly Sins" - Dennis Sansom, Ph.D.
- “Opioids for Chronic Pain: Whatever Happened to First, Do No Harm?”- David N. Juurlink, BPharm, M.D., Ph.D., FRCPC, FACMT, FAACT
- “Turning the tide or riptide? Ethical Challenges of the changing opioid epidemic.” - Stefan G. Kertesz, M.D., M.Sc.
Watch the lectures: Part 1 | Part 2
2015: Religion and Health Care in a Diverse Society: The role of Institutional and Provider Conscience
- "Taking Moral Diversity Seriously: The Implications for Bioethics" - H. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr., Ph.D., M.D.
- "Can Professional Practice Help in Adjudicating Professional Conscientious Objection?" -Thomas S. Huddle, M.S., Ph.D., FACP
- "Reframing Conscientious Refusals in an Era of Competing Visions of Health, Medicine and Ethics" - Ryan Nash, M.D., M.A., FACP, FAAHPM
- "Health Policy and Conscience Protection: Is There a Place for Religious People in Health Care Professions?" - Leonard J. Nelson, J.D., LL.M.
2014: Immunizations across the Lifespan: Ethical and Legal Implications
- "Immunizations: Individual Rights vs. Societal Obligation" - Dennis Sansom Ph.D.
- "Adult Immunization: Do Disparities Have Ethical Implications?" - William Schaffner, M.D.
- "Requiring Immunizations for Health Care Workers: Fair and Just?" - Lisa M. Lee, Ph.D., MS, (Pellegrino Medalist) .
- "Pediatric Immunizations: the Effect of Conscientious Objection" - David Kimberlin, M.D.
- "The Illusion of Charity Care" - Bruce White, D.O., J.D. (Pellegrino Medalist)
2013: Marketplace Medicine and Conflicts of Interest
- "Fear and Loathing in Medical Research" - Carl Elliott, M.D., Ph.D.
- "Health Care Reform and the Market" - Leonard Jack Nelson, III, J.D., LL.M.
- "Patient Demands and Accommodations" - Bruce White, D.O., J.D.
2012: Moral Distress at the Bedside: A Role for Hospital Ethics Committees?
- "Collaboration of a Nursing Ethics Roundtable and a Hospital Ethics Committee to Decrease Moral Distress at the Bedside" - Joy Hinson Penticuff, RN, Ph.D.
- "The Role of Ethics Committees in Catholic Hospitals" - Leonard Jack Nelson, III, J.D., LL.M.
- "Medical Futility and Moral Distress" - John Lantos, M.D.
- "The Moral Distress of an Outside-the-Loop Clinician: Challenges for Pharmacists as Newcomers to the Health Care Team" - David Brushwood, R.Ph., J.D.
- "The Effect of Completing a Surrogacy Information Tool on Admission to an Intensive Care Unit on Length of Stay and Charges: A Case Study" - Bruce D. White, D.O., J.D. Case study article
2011: Eliminating Healthcare Disparities: An Ethical Quagmire?
- "Health Disparities: Just and Unjust" - Robert Veatch, Ph.D.
- “From Stem Cells to Cloning: Where Are We Now?" - Gregory Pence, Ph.D.
- Panel Discussion on Health Disparities: The Case of an Undocumented Immigrant with End Stage Renal Disease - Denyse Thornley-Brown, M.D., Gregory E. Pence, Ph.D., Robert Veatch, Ph.D.
- “Notes on the Role of University-Based Ethics Programs and Their Communities” - Joseph O. Dean, Jr., Ph.D.
- “The Health Impact of Resolving Racial Disparities: An Analysis of US Mortality Data” - David Satcher, M.D., Ph.D.
- Case study, “The Family from Hell” - Bruce D. White, D.O., J.D.
2010: Are Codes of Ethics Enough?
- “Codes, Standards of Care, and the Differences between Ethics and Law” - Bruce White, D.O., J.D.
- “Developing Ethical Standards: The Role of People, the Role of Codes” - Joseph Fink III, B.S. Pharm, J.D.
- “Ethics Code Design: Emerging Best Practices” - John Knapp, Ph.D.
- “Applying the Health Education Code of Ethics to other Health Care Professions” - Chuck Sands, Ph.D.
- “Codes Are More Than Rules, They Are Virtues” - Dennis Sansom, Ph.D.
- “Primer on Clinical Ethics for Ethics Committee Members” - Ronn Huff, M.A.(c)
- “Codes of Ethics: Setting the Goal Posts for Professionalism?” - DeWitt C. Baldwin, Jr., M.D., Sc.D. (Hon)
- “Codes and Care at the Bedside: The Nurse’s Dilemma” - Joy Penticuff, R.N., Ph.D.
2009: The Intersection of Faith and Ethics in Healthcare
- “The Numinous, the Medical and the Moral” - Daniel P. Sulmasy, O.F.M., Ph.D.
- “The Fine Edge Between Light and Shadow: Spirituality, Illness and Dignity” - Karen Lebacqz, Ph.D.
- “When to be Spiritual in Health Care” - Dennis Sansom, Ph.D.
- "Conscientious Objection and the Future of Catholic Health Care" - Leonard J. Nelson, J.D., LL.M.
- “Self-Deception, Medical Practice and the Eclipse of Spirituality” - John Knapp, Ph.D.
- “Justice: Bedside Clinical Ethics’ Next Great Challenge” - Bruce D. White, D.O., J.D.
2008: Healthcare Reform: Access, Economics and Obligation
- “Children’s Access to Health Care: The Puzzling U.S. Attitude” - Loretta Kopelman, Ph.D. - Response, Leonard J. Nelson III, J.D., LL.M.
- “Securing Access to the Healing Pool” - William May, Ph.D. - Response, Wilton Bunch, M.D., Ph.D.
- “An Argument for Universal Health Care” - Melvin Brandon, Ph.D.
- “Finite Care in a World of Infinite Need” - Stanley Hauerwas, Ph.D. - Response, Dennis Sansom, Ph.D.
- “Health Economics and Politics: A Historical Perspective” - Robert Helms, Ph.D. - Response, Michael Morrisey, Ph.D.
2007: Struggling with Improving Bedside End-of-Life Care
- Medical Futility: Where Do We Stand?, Lawrence J. Schneiderman, MD
- Insights from Tarot about Futility Decisions: The Hanged Man, Amy Haddad, Ph.D., R.N.
- Where is God in Suffering and Death?, Wilton H. Bunch, MD, PhD.