The Bachelor of Arts in Worship Leadership is an interdisciplinary degree designed for students committed to vocational worship ministry in the church and para-church organizations. Coursework emphasizes the practices of Christian worship and ministry with complementary studies in an arts concentration of the student’s choosing. Students are prepared to design, plan, and lead worship through arts-centered ministries such as art and design, dance, film production, journalism, mass communication, music, songwriting or worship production. Upon graduation, students will be equipped to pursue full-time worship arts positions in church and parachurch organizations or graduate studies in seminary.
Meet the Faculty
Art and Design
Journalism and Mass Communication
Students can develop artistic areas of interest to prepare for full-time church ministry positions with time divided between responsibilities in worship and production roles such as graphic design, film production. They also include responsibilities in business administration, children’s ministry, youth ministry, urban and global missions, sports ministry, and other related fields. This degree will offer training options to students who wish to enter congregations with ministry positions divided between worship and another area.
Hands on Experience
Collaborative Career Preparation
Samford has strong relationships with area churches that offer internships and work opportunities during and after graduation. The Center for Worship and the Arts, housed in the School of the Arts, provides dynamic teaching models for intergenerational worship practices and allows students to teach and explore worship and the arts through a variety of ongoing programs.
Students will follow coursework in area concentrations along with Samford’s Catalyst Arts Curriculum that provides collaborative career preparation.
EnsemblesStudents have hands-on experience with worship programming through the Campus Worship Team and the Worship Arts Ensemble.
- Articulate a calling to an area of worship arts ministry.
- Apply critical thinking skills and exercise discernment in worship arts ministry.
- Identify the history, theology, and practice of public worship in the Christian tradition.
- Identify the history, theology, and practice of the arts among individuals and communities throughout the Christian tradition.
- Design, plan, and implement arts-based ministries that serve the church and its worship practices.
- Demonstrate competency in a specific artistic medium.
- Collaborate with other artists and artistic mediums through a ministry approach that utilizes interdisciplinary studies and connections.
- Reflect biblically, theologically, philosophically, sociologically, and pastorally on Christian ministry, worship, and the arts.
Admission and Scholarship Requirements
Admission to Worship Leadership
Admission to the Worship Leadership major requires a complete Worship Leadership Application followed by an invitation to interview. The combination of the application and interview determine admission and scholarship eligibility.
- Submit The Common Application or Samford University Application declaring a major within the Division of Music.
- Submit the Worship Leadership Application which will appear on your Application Status Page checklist once you have declared a major in Worship Leadership. Materials required include an artistic and academic resume, headshot and supplemental materials according to concentration.
- Request an on-site interview within the Worship Leadership Application.
- An invitation and confirmation of a live interview is received in approximately two weeks after submitting the Worship Leadership Application. Sample Audition Weekend.
2019-2020 Audition/Interview Weekends
Nov. 1-2, 2019
Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2020
Feb. 21-22, 2020
Review application and interview requirements by concentration in the following documents.