The Bachelor of Arts in Worship Leadership is an interdisciplinary degree designed for students committed to vocational worship ministry in the church and para-church organizations. Coursework emphasizes the practices of Christian worship and ministry with complementary studies in an arts concentration of the student’s choosing. Students are prepared to design, plan, and lead worship through arts-centered ministries such as art and design, music, songwriting or worship media and production. Upon graduation, students will be equipped to pursue full-time worship arts positions in church and parachurch organizations or graduate studies in seminary.
Visit Samford and Learn More About our Program
Samford's Division of Music hosts Backstage Pass in the spring and fall. We invite students to come to campus, engage with our faculty, attend classes or an ensemble rehearsal and learn more about studying music at Samford.
Meet the Faculty
Students can develop artistic areas of interest to prepare for full-time church ministry positions with time divided between responsibilities in worship and production roles such as graphic design, film production. They also include responsibilities in business administration, children’s ministry, youth ministry, urban and global missions, sports ministry, and other related fields. This degree will offer training options to students who wish to enter congregations with ministry positions divided between worship and another area.
- Worship Leadership Graduation Plan – Art and Design Concentration
- Worship Leadership Graduation Plan – Ministry Concentration
- Worship Leadership Graduation Plan – Music Concentration
- Worship Leadership Graduation Plan – Songwriting Concentration
- Worship Leadership Graduation Plan – Worship Media Concentration
- Worship Leadership Graduation Plan – Worship Production Concentration
Hands on Experience
Collaborative Career Preparation
Samford has strong relationships with area churches that offer internships and work opportunities during and after graduation. The Center for Worship and the Arts, housed in the School of the Arts, provides dynamic teaching models for intergenerational worship practices and allows students to teach and explore worship and the arts through a variety of ongoing programs.
Students will follow coursework in area concentrations along with Samford’s Catalyst Arts Curriculum that provides collaborative career preparation.
EnsemblesStudents have hands-on experience with worship programming through the Samford Worship Team and the Worship Arts Ensemble.
- Articulate a calling to an area of worship arts ministry.
- Apply critical thinking skills and exercise discernment in worship arts ministry.
- Identify the history, theology, and practice of public worship in the Christian tradition.
- Identify the history, theology, and practice of the arts among individuals and communities throughout the Christian tradition.
- Design, plan, and implement arts-based ministries that serve the church and its worship practices.
- Demonstrate competency in a specific artistic medium.
- Collaborate with other artists and artistic mediums through a ministry approach that utilizes interdisciplinary studies and connections.
- Reflect biblically, theologically, philosophically, sociologically, and pastorally on Christian ministry, worship, and the arts.
Admission and Scholarship Requirements
Visit our music admission page to learn more about audition and application requirements.