The International Interior Design Association – Alabama Chapter (IIDA-AL) is pleased to announce the winners of the 13th biennial IDIE Awards. The awards showcase the exemplary work of the chapter’s members and celebrates excellence in interior design. Winners were announced and honored at an event on Friday, April 12, 2019 at Regions Field in downtown Birmingham.
The biennial awards program invites organizations, firms and furniture dealers to submit projects completed in the previous two years. Submissions are judged by a panel of professional peers who practice in other market areas. The Best in Show award is presented to the firm or dealer that ranks highest during judging. This year’s awards drew 91 submissions from 30 firms and furniture dealers. This year’s Best of Students (Student Choice) winner was Sarah York who is an interior architecture major at Samford University. Sarah submitted a design that offered a dual-purpose solution to an area in downtown Birmingham.
“Alabama is rich with interior design talent, and it our honor to recognize those contributing to the industry through the IDIEs,” says Amy Cope, IDIEs Chair and President of IIDA-AL. “Congratulations to all the winners – we thank you for your participation and help in growing our profession and industry.”
The winners in each category are as follows:
- Best in Show – Nequette Architecture and Design (Corporate – Small)
- Best of Assembly – Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center Renovation, Davis Architects
- Best of Corporate (Small) – Nequette Architecture and Design, Nequette Architecture and Design
- Best of Corporate (Large) – The Paul Propst Center for Precision Medicine, Fuqua & Partners Architects
- Best of Design Detail – UAB Collat School of Business, Williams Blackstock Architects
- Best of Furniture Installation (Small) – Shipt Headquarters, Office Environments
- Best of Furniture Installation (Large) – WME Entertainment, AI Corporate Interiors
- Best of Healthcare (Small) – Core Plastic Surgery & Schaffer Plastic Surgery, Heidi Core Interior Design, LLC
- Best of Healthcare (Large) – Hospice Family Care, Fuqua & Partners Architects
- Best of Hospitality – The Grand Hotel, Goodwyn Mills & Cawood, Inc
- Best of Institutional – Auburn University Mell Classroom, Williams Blackstock Architects
- Best of Residential – Hawk's Nest Private Residence, Nequette Architecture and Design
- Best of Retail – Caliber, Christopher Architecture and Interiors
- Best of Students (Corporate Office) – Facebook, Gabrielle Ingros – Auburn University
- Best of Students (Healthcare) – Adapt, Mollie Evans – University of Alabama
- Best of Students (Student Choice) – Bear Grounds, Sarah York – Samford University
IIDA-AL is the state’s association for the commercial interior design industry, providing resources to professionals and students in the industry and their clients to advance the profession and enhance business value. The chapter has City Centers located in Birmingham and Huntsville, as well as Campus Centers at Auburn University, Samford University and the University of Alabama. Members enjoy a variety of professional development programs and networking events throughout the year to support culture, enhance business value, solve problems and bring awareness to the field of commercial interior design.