The Department of Communication and Media continues to be an award-winning division of Samford University's Howard College of Arts and Sciences. Their student media organizations, The Local, Samford News Network, The Samford Crimson and Sojourn magazine, won eight College Media Association (CMA) Pinnacle Awards.
"The CMA is the nation's largest organization dedicated to serving collegiate media advisers, and the Pinnacle Awards is an annual contest open to student work produced for any college media organization, including print, broadcast and online outlets, during an academic year."
Over 4,000 entries nationwide were submitted to the contest. Samford competed in Division II, which is reserved for schools with enrollments between 3,000 and 9,999. In the Literary Magazine category – Samford's Sojourn won first place. The Samford Crimson also won first place in the Best Coverage of Faith Award category for its campus revival story published in February 2023.
The awards are as follows:
- 1st place, Division II: Best Coverage of Faith, Staff, The Samford Crimson
- 1st place, Division II: Literary Magazine of the Year, Noelle Neader, Angele Lansing, Maddy Rosenau, Sojourn
- 2nd Place, Division II: Best Video Newscast, Staff, Samford News Network
- 3rd Place, Division II: Best Video Promo/PSA, Staff, Samford News Network
- 3rd Place, Division II: Best Video Special Event Coverage, Chris Todd, Samford News Network
- Honorable Mention, Division II: Best Sports Multimedia Story, Andrew Simonson, Samford News Network
- Honorable Mention, Division II: Best Video Sportscast, Staff, Samford News Network
- Honorable Mention, Division II: Best Magazine Feature/Spread, The Local