Philip L. Copeland
Professor, Conducting, A Cappella Choir, Bells of Buchanan
School of the Arts
Division of Music, Vocal and Choral
Dr. Philip Copeland is director of choral activities and associate professor. His focus is the A Cappella Choir, conducting and the music education curriculum. He previously led the choral program at the University of Alabama at Birmingham for nine years. UAB choirs achieved national recognition through significant performances at conventions of the National Collegiate Choral Organization and American Choral Directors Association. He led the choir in two international choral competitions, the Fleischman International Choral Competition in Cork, Ireland, and the Florlilege Vocal de Tours in Tours, France. The choir won significant awards in both.
Copeland holds degrees in music education from the University of Mississippi and Mississippi College and the doctor of musical arts in conducting from Southern Baptist Seminary. He serves as director of music ministries at South Highland Presbyterian Church. Copeland also leads the newly formed Alabama Symphony Chorus in preparation for masterworks with the Alabama Symphony Orchestra.
Degrees and Certifications
- B.M., University of Mississippi
- M.M., Mississippi College
- D.M.A., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- A Cappella Choir
- Choral music education
Awards and Honors
- International Choral Performance Awards:
- Significant Performances
- Copeland, Philip. “Digital Natives and Immigrant Conductors: Catching Up and Reaching Out” Choral Journal (forthcoming). As a supplement to that article, I created a website called immigrantconductor.org that holds presentation notes, articles, videos, and other resources for the choral conductor.
- Copeland, Philip. “Fighting Irrelevancy: Using Technological Tools to Stay Current in Today’s World” in Creator Magazine. May 2010.
- Copeland, Philip. “Technology for the 21st Century Choir” Choral Journal December 2009. (23-30)
- Copeland, Philip. “acda.for.you” Choral Journal, September 2009. (57-58)
- Copeland, Philip. “A New Face for ACDA” Choral Journal October 2008. (64-67)