Carol J. Ratcliffe, D.N.P, RN, COI, FACHE
Degrees and Certifications
- D.N.P., administration, Samford University
- M.S.N., administration, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- B.S.N., University of Alabama
- Certified Online Instructor
- Implemented the first clinical nurse leader role in a non-government hospital in Birmingham
- Nursing and health-care administration
- Nursing recruitment and retention
- Nursing practice and advocacy
- Shared governance
- Servant leadership
- The Impact of Hourly Rounding on Inpatient Patient Satisfaction with Nursing
- Transformational leadership
- Strategic planning and sustaining change
- Transforming Care at the Bedside through Innovative Nursing Care Models
- Co-authored the sedation standards for nursing practice for the Louisiana Board of Nursing
- Developed the first bloodless medicine and surgery program in Louisiana
Awards and Honors
- Teacher of the Year Award, National Black Nurses Association, 2015
- American Organization of Nurse Executives Chapter Achievement Award, 2014
- American College of Health Care Executives Service Award, American College of Healthcare Executives, 2013
- Nursing Advocate, Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama, 2013
- Ida V. Moffett Living Legacy Award, Samford University, 2012
- Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame, 2011
- Outstanding Nursing Administrator, Alabama State Nurses Association, 2011
- Ida V. Moffett Courage to Care Award, Samford University, 2009
- MOMENTUM Women’s Leadership Program, 2008
- American College of Healthcare Executives (April 2004). Early Careerist Profile. Early Careerist Newsletter
- Chamber of Commerce, Southwest Louisiana, Leadership Southwest Louisiana, 1996
Roussel, L., Thomas, T., & Ratcliffe, C. J. (2016). Leadership theory and application for nurse leaders. In L. Roussel, J. Harris, and T. Thomas (Eds.), Management and leadership for nurse administrators (7th ed., pp. 25 - 47). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Ratcliffe, C. J. & Ladner, K. A. (2016, April). The Alabama health action coalition: Developing nursing workforce data in Alabama. Podium presenter for The National FORUM of State Nursing Workforce Centers, Orlando, FL.
Ratcliffe, C. J. (July, 2016). The Alabama health action coalition: Working towards improving Alabama’s health, The Alabama State Nurses Association’s Leadership Academy, Pike Road, AL.
- Ratcliffe, C. J. (June, 2016). The Alabama health action coalition: Working towards improving Alabama’s health, The Wellness Coalition’s Chronic Disease Institute, Montgomery, AL.
- Ratcliffe, C.J. & Ladner, K. (February, 2016). Alabama health action coalition: Nursing workforce data initiative in Alabama. Mobile Bay Black Nurses Association Nurses Mardi Gras Carnival and Conference, Mobile, AL.
- Ratcliffe, C.J., Ladner, K., & Buckner, E. (2015, April). Alabama nursing workforce data: Essential information for the future of Alabama nursing. Alabama State Nurses Association (ASNA) Elizabeth A. Morris Annual Clinical Sessions-FACES’15, Montgomery, AL.
- Nursing workforce
- Alabama Health Care Improvement Task Force, member
- Alabama Health Action Coalition, founding member and nursing co-leader
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Consultants Forum Committee
- Southern Regional Education Board Government Relations Committee
- Samford University Black Alumni Association Board
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Silver Soror