Robert W. Service
With 16 years management experience and six years as a programmer and analyst, Bill demonstrated his ability as a problem solver, and executive before receiving his Ph.D. in 1993 with concentrations in strategy, statistics, and MIS. In his prior career, he was a Vice President for TRW in Dallas, Texas where he led 250 managers, programmers and analysts under a $15 million annual budget. As a professor, he won the University teaching excellence award in his third year of teaching and he has published extensively in areas of strategy, ethics, communications, information systems, innovation, leadership and human resources among others. His 2006 book, LQ©: The Leadership Quotient, received superb reviews. Additionally, Bill serves on several Journal review boards and speaks about management and leadership to many organizations annually.
Bill’s executive experience, work in China, England, Ukraine, Kenya, contacts with international firms and his current research and consulting make Bill well qualified to educate, evaluate and consult in many areas
- Service, R. W. and Reburn, J. P. (2016). Skills that Matter and Will Last a Lifetime. International Journal of Education and Practice 4(5): 183-206. http://www.pakinsight.com/pdf-files/art/61/IJEP-2016-4(5)-183-206.pdf
- Service, R. W. and Dance, J. W. (2016). Labeling versus Understanding versus Understanding: News, Views, Opinions or Facts? Social Science Learning Education Journal, April: 15-29. Full file pdf at http://innovativejournal.in/sslej/index.php/sslej/article/download/5/6 [link broken as of 7/9/2018]
- Service, R. W. and Loudon, D. (2015). Critical Issues: Academia Trumped by Truth or Consequences. European Open Education Research Journal, September: 1-22. http://www.eurpub.com/European%20Open%20Educational%20Research%20Journal/EOERJ_Vol.1,No.5,September2015/Critical%20Issues.pdf
- Service, R. W. and Guess, A. K (2015). Leadership Advantage: A People Person. Journal of Leadership Accountability and Ethics. 12(4): 27 pages. http://t.www.na-businesspress.com/JLAE/ServiceRW_Web12_4_.pdf
- Service, R. W. and McEwen, J. K. (2015). Innovation Creates the Future when it Exemplifies Clear Strategic Thinking over Reacting to Presenting Complaints. Strategic Management Quarterly, March: 1-48 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276472255_Innovation_Creates_the_Future_when_it_Exemplifies_Clear_Strategic_Thinking_over_Reacting_to_Presenting_Complaints
- Broom, L. S. and Service, R.W. (2014). Religion or Psychology? Making the Case for Economic and Organizational Impact. Business Renaissance Quarterly, 9(1-2): 51-83.
- Broom, L., Loudon, D. L., Service, R. W. Sonius D. (2014). Rapid Incremental Innovation Strategy: Sustainable Competitive Advantage. International Journal of Engineering Research & Management 1(6): 50-58. http://www.eurpub.com/European%20Open%20Educational%20Research%20Journal/EOERJ_Vol.1,No.5,September2015/Critical%20Issues.pdf
- Service, Robert. W., Loudon, D. L. and Sonius, D. (2014). Developing a Mindset for Rapid Incremental Innovation. Review of Knowledge Economy, 1(4): 74-89.
- Service, R. W., Loudon, D. L. and Kariuki, K. (2014). Cross-Cultural Leadership: Recommendations for Kenya. Journal of Social Economics Research 1(4): 40-71. http://www.pakinsight.com/pdf-files/eco/35/JSER-2014-1(4)-40-71.pdf
- Service, R. W. & Reburn, J. P. (2014). Leadership for Innovation: Fundamentals of Human Influence. Journal of International Business Research and Practice, V(8): 35-76. https://www.usi.edu/media/3651434/Leadership-for-Innovation.pdf
- Dance, J. W. and Service, R. W. (2013). The Attractive Nuisance: A model to Prevent Workplace Distractions. Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 5(2), 31-45.
- Service, R. W. and Carson, C.M. (2013). Cross-Cultural Leadership: A Roadmap for the Journey. Academy of Contemporary Research Journal, VII(II): 29-40.
- Service, R. W. and Loudon, D. L. (2013). The United States: Economic and Educational Problems and a Suggestion.” Journal of Business and Economics, 4(2): 249-259.
- Reburn, J. P. and Service, R. W. (2012). Interim Dean or Acting Manager versus “A” Manager or Leader: Can Old Theories and New Practices Be of Use? A. T. Business Management Review, 8(2): 18-29.
- Service, R. W. (2012). Leadership and Innovation across Cultures: CIQ-Contextual Effectiveness-as a Skill. Southern Business Review, 37(1): 19-50.
- Service, R. W. and Dance, J. W. (2012). IAM Quotient for Impression Management: A Guide to Appearance and Behavior for Young Professionals. American Journal of Business Research, 5(1): 73-91.
- Service, R. W. and Kennedy, K. (2012).A Comprehensive Global Leadership Model. The Business Renaissance Quarterly, 7(1): 75-106.
- Service, R.W. and Kariuki, K. (2012). Cross Cultural Leadership: African Example and Suggestions. Advances in Management, 5(12), 78-87. Kavore Kariuki, Samford University class of 1996, is principle and owner of the consulting firm, KGroup, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Service, R. W. and Loudon, D. (2012). A Global Leadership Quotient-GLQ: Measuring, Assessing and Developing. China-USA Business Review. 11(8): 1096-1112.
- Service, R. W. Reburn, J. P. and Loudon, D. (2012). Management Schools of Business and Liberal Arts: Educating for Governing. International Journal of Research in Social Science, 1(8): 102-132.
- Service, R. W., & White, D. (2012). Leadership effectiveness for the rest-of-us. International Journal of Business Leadership 1(3): 124-146.
- Lockamy, A. and Service, R. W. (2011). Modeling Managerial Promotion Decisions Using Bayesian Networks: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Management Development, 30(4): 381-401.
- Service, R. W. (2010). Management: “Is versus “Should Be.” Problems and Perspectives in Management, 8(2): 21-43.
- Service, R. W. and Carson, C. M. (2010 ). Becoming a More Effective Manager: Reality versus Hype. China-USA Business Review, 9(11): 35-49.
- Service, R. W. and Carson, C. M. (2010). Discrimination, Diversity and an HRM Model. Academy of Business Studies, 2(1): 29-47.
- Service, R. W. and Loudon, D. L. (2010). The “Is” Versus the “Should Be” of Performance Appraisals: Don’t Confuse Them! Business Renaissance Quarterly, 5(3): 63-84.
- Service, R. W. (2009). Leadership Quotient©’s Thought Experiment: A Framework For Leadership and Management. International Journal of Business and Public Administration, 6 (3): 74-90.
- Service, R. W. (2009). Book Review of Corbin and Strauss (2008). Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory (3rd ed.). Organizational Research Methods, 12(3): 614-617.
- Service, R. W. (2009). The Leadership Quotient: Measuring toward Improve. Business Renaissance Quarterly, 4(1):125-158.
- Service, R. W. and Carson, C. M. (2009). Management and Leadership: Religion The “Mother of all Context.” Interbeing Journal, 3(1): 37-43.
- Service, R. W., Service, W. and Smith, D. L. (2009). Managing and Leading Technology and Innovation: An Introductory Approach. International Journal of the Academic Business World, 3(1): 55-70.
- Service, R. W. and Fekula, M. J. (2008). Beyond Emotional Intelligence: The EQ Matrix as a Leadership Imperative. The Business Renaissance Quarterly, 3(2): 23-58.
- Service, R. W. and Lockamy, A. III. (2008). Managerial Promotions Formulas and a Human Resource Management Model. Management Research News, 31(4): 245-257.
- Service, R. W. and Cockerham, D. (2007). The Managerial MBA: Classroom Lab Experience. The Journal of Learning in Higher Education, 3(1): 1-14.
- Service, R. W. and Ledlow, J. (2007) Academic and Practitioner Realities of Management: On Religion and Politics inParticular. International Journal of Business Disciplines, 18(2): pp. 1-22.
- Service, R. W. (2006). The Development of Strategic Intelligence: A Managerial Perspective. International Journal of Management, 23(1): 61-77.
- Service, B. and Arnott, D. (2006). The Leadership Quotient: 12 Dimensions for Measuring and Improving Leadership. New York: iUniverse.
- Service, R. W., Smith, D, L. and Boockholdt, J. L. (2006). An empirical Investigation of Education, Work Experience, and Ethical Values. Review of Business Research, VI(3): 202-212.
- “Academic Publication and Issues of the Day: Income Tax Paradigm.” Presented by Dr. Service and published in Conference proceedings, Academy of Business Research International Conference, Biloxi, MS, October 20-22, 2016. Dr. Service also chaired a leadership/management session at the conference.
- “Skills that Matter and Will Last a Lifetime.” Service, R. W. and Reburn, J. P. Present by Dr. Service at The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines Conference April 23, 2016, in Dallas, TX. Dr. Service also chaired a session on Leadership at the conference. Full Paper published in the Proceedings of The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD) Conference, April 21-24, 2016, Dallas, TX. Updated version currently out for review.
- “Truth versus Rhetoric? Academia and Critical Issues.” Service, R. W. Accepted for presentation and Proceedings publication at the 32nd International Business Research Conference-November, 2015, Melbourne, Australia: Withdrew the paper due to funding issues at Samford; since published paper with David Loudon.
- "Leadership Advantage: A People Person." Service, R. W. and Guess, A. K. (2015). Presented and published in conference proceedings for (51st Annual) 2015 MBAA International Conference-March 25-27, 2015: Chicago, IL.
- “Leadership for Innovation: Fundamentals of Human Influence.” Robert W. Service and James P. Reburn. (2014). Presented at MBAA International Conference in Chicago, IL, March. Published in Proceeding of the AIB-Midwest Conference V(XXV111): 286-316.