As of January 1, 2021, the Alabama Board of Pharmacy updated the requirements for the sterile product certification program. Currently, we are updating our certification activity to meet the new standards set by the board. We plan to have an initial activity this spring, but planning is still underway. Sign up for our emails to be notified when dates are announced.
For any pharmacist or pharmacy technician, continuing education is an important aspect of professional development. At the McWhorter School of Pharmacy, we offer a wide variety of continuing education activities to equip pharmacists and pharmacy technicians with the information and skills to meet the needs of patient care and contemporary pharmacy practice.
The Office of Continuing Pharmacy Education seeks to provide high-quality professional development activities that address the challenges of contemporary healthcare practice and enable pharmacists and technicians to serve the healthcare needs of patients and society through the profession of pharmacy.
Samford University McWhorter School of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
This continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activity is intended to educate and evaluate pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in the application of the concepts and principles of compounding sterile preparations.
APhA’s Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery certificate training program is based on national educational standards for immunization training from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Save the date for this upcoming continuing education activity. Additional information, including registration, is forthcoming.
CPE Monitor Process
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) and the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) have together developed new software which will track all attendance or completion of ACPE approved CE courses. The first step for the pharmacist or technician is to create a CE account and acquire a new ACPE ID number. To do this, follow these steps:
- You must have an email address. If you do not have one, there are a number of free email services online.
- Go to: www.nabp.net/programs. The page will open to CPE Monitor Service.
- After a few paragraphs about CPE monitor service, there is a link that reads, Set up your NABP e-Profile to obtain your ID. Click on this link.
- The next page allows you to log in if you are a member already, or you may select New User Registration. Selecting this will take you to a page that asks for a number of information items.
- Complete the information and at the bottom and enter the password of your choice.
- The next page will ask you for your state and license number. You have the option to Add Another for additional states.
- The last page allows you to review your states and licenses or your personal information and password.
- You will receive an email with your new CPE Monitor ID#. Save this! You will need it for every CE activity.
In obtaining your ID number, you also set up a CE account. You may go online at any time and see the CE programs and hours that you have completed.
In the future, any ACPE CE activity you complete/attend will require your CPE Monitor ID#. You will also have to give the month and day of your birth date, MM/DD, not the year. The people presenting the activity will record your number in the ACPE database, and your account will be updated showing your new CE hours. You will no longer receive paper CE hour statements.
At the conclusion of each year, ACPE/NABP will send to the state board of pharmacy a report of all CE hours acquired by all pharmacists and all technicians in the state. You will no longer have to keep up with CE hour statements; nor can you be short on CE hours and hope you won't be audited by the board of pharmacy.
- Office of Continuing Pharmacy Education Policy and Procedure Document (password required)
- Location and Parking for Pharmacy CE events at Samford's College of Health Sciences facilities
- Parking directions for CE events at Samford's Brock School of Business
- Pharmacy CPE Joint-Providership Guidelines and Application Form
- CPE Monitor
- Alabama Board of Pharmacy