Pursuing a career in pharmacy means dedicating yourself to a practice of serving others and a lifelong commitment to learning. Initiating the educational process at Samford University provides you with an intensive foundational experience to help you do just that. Our pre-pharmacy curriculum, for students who choose Samford following high school graduation, is tailor-made for a successful transition into the doctor of pharmacy program. In addition to preparing you for professional schooling, our customized plan of study offers knowledge about the pharmacy profession, practice, opportunities and requirements. At Samford, you can also receive a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy Studies.
- True 2/4 program, with Pharm.D. earned six years post–high school graduation
- Early Assurance Program
- Earn a B.S. in pharmacy studies upon completion of your second year of pharmacy school
- Advised by pharmacy school director of admission
- Annually renewable Samford undergraduate scholarships can be applied to the first two years of pharmacy school
- Numerous student organizations, including a Pre-pharmacy Club
Admission is a two-part process. First, you must be admitted to Samford University and then you apply for admission into the McWhorter School of Pharmacy during your sophomore year.
Incoming freshmen must have a minimum ACT (or SAT equivalent) score of 22 to be eligible to declare pre-pharmacy as the plan of study. Incoming freshmen with an ACT (or SAT equivalent) score below 22 may request a change of major into pre-pharmacy after two semesters of coursework at Samford if the student has earned an overall minimum GPA and math/science GPA of 3.0.
Early Assurance Program+
Samford offers a select group of incoming freshmen who enter Samford directly from high school an opportunity to participate in the Early Assurance Program. After a minimum of two years of pre-pharmacy coursework, students selected for this program have the opportunity to earn a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree at Samford, provided they meet the following requirements.
- Enroll at Samford as a first time, full-time freshman
- Must have a minimum 26 ACT and a 3.5 GPA (high school) at time of matriculation
Benchmarks once enrolled at Samford:
- Hold a 3.0 Overall and math/science GPA at the time of application to the McWhorter School of Pharmacy
- Achieve a minimum PCAT composite in the 50th percentile
- Complete all University Core and Science courses at Samford*
- A successful interview (that results in approval of admission by the admission committee)
- All pre-requisite courses to be completed in two (2) academic years.*
*Waivers may be considered on a case by case basis for exceptional circumstances.
Plan of Study+
Fall Semester 1
|Foundations of Chemistry I||4|
|Foundations of Chemistry I Lab||1|
|Communication Arts I||4|
|Cultural Perspectives I||4|
Spring Semester 1
|Principles of Human Anatomy||4|
|Foundations of Chemistry II||3|
|Communication Arts II||4|
|Cultural Perspectives II||4|
Fall Semester 2
|Principles of Human Physiology||4|
|Organic Chemistry I||3|
|Organic Chemistry I Laboratory||1|
|Concepts in Fitness and Health||2|
Spring Semester 2
|Organic Chemistry II and Lab||4|