Kim W. Benner, Pharm.D., BCPS, FASHP, FPPAG
Degrees and Certifications
- Pharm.D., McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Samford University
- B.S., pharmacy, McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Samford University
- B.S., biology/chemistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Clinical pharmacy specialist and adjunct faculty
- Pediatric Simulation Center: Children’s of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala.
- Pediatrics, critical care, dermatology and simulation education
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group, May 2013
- Fellow, American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists, June 2009
- Health System Pharmacist of the Year, Alabama Society of Health-System Pharmacists, October 2008
- Faculty Preceptor of the Year, McWhorter School of Pharmacy, May 2008
- Sergio Stagno, M.D., Friend of the House Staff Award, Children's of Alabama, May 2002
Gorman G, Miller RR, Joiner LC, Quattlebaum CL, Benner K. Multiport Y-Site Compatibility Studies of a Parenteral Nutrition Solution with Routinely Used Pediatric CVICU Medications. Advan Crit Care Med 2017; 1:001.
Benner K. Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program (PSAP) 2017 Book 3 (Pediatrics/Geriatrics). Acne. American College of Clinical Pharmacy. 2017.
Buksa, A, Huneidi D, Benner K. Pharmacotherapy of Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension. US Pharm. 2017;42(5) (Specialty and Oncology suppl):28-31.
Cravens M, Benner K, Beall J, et al. Knowledge gain of pharmacy students and pharmacists comparing simulation versus traditional learning methodology. The Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2016; 21 (6) (November-December 2016): 476-485.Volume 21, Issue 6 (November-December 2016)
Meadows GT, Bunn C, Benner KW. Treatment considerations for headache in pediatric patients. U.S. Pharmacist. 2016; 41 (5): 23-26.
Willis S, Slattery A, King W, Benner K. Therapeutic error calls among older adults reported to a regional poison control center in Alabama. Southern Medical Journal. 2016; 109(6) 356-362.Richard, KR; Lovvorn, JJ; Oliver, SE; Ross, SA; Benner, KW; Kong, MY. Chromobacterium Violaceum Sepsis: Rethinking Conventional Therapy to Improve Outcome. Am J Case Rep. 2015; 16:740-4
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists, Section of Clinical Specialists and Scientists' (SCCS) Executive Committee, chair
- Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties Pediatric Council, 2013-2016
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, clinical skills competition national coordinator, 2012-16
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists, Alabama State Delegate, 2009-2016
- Alabama Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists, Member, ALSHP InPharmative Quarterly, Editorial Board Member. 2017 to present
- Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group (PPAG), Member, Research Committee