A native of Birmingham, Alabama, Elizabeth Covington has always believed in the Samford University value of service to God, family, one another and the community. Covington’s professional and research interests include antimicrobial stewardship strategies, as well as innovations in infectious disease education. She maintains an active practice site at Jackson Hospital in Montgomery, Alabama, serving as a clinical pharmacy specialist on a general medicine floor. In her spare time, Covington enjoys Auburn football, baking, spending time with her family and loving on her pets.
Degrees and Certifications
- Pharm. D., Auburn University
- B. S., Chemistry, Furman University
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency, DCH Regional Medical Center
- Board Certified Infectious Diseases Pharmacist (BCIDP)
Awards and Honors
- American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education (AFPE) Gateway to Research Award, 2015-2016
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Research Institute (RI) Futures Award, 2015-2016
- Harrison School of Pharmacy President’s Award, 2016
- Phi Lambda Sigma, 2014
- Rho Chi, 2014
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
- Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists (SIDP)
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Alabama Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ALSHP)
- Inpatient internal medicine, infectious disease
- Bowman C, Covington EW. Determination of the optimal procalcitonin threshold for infection in patients with impaired renal function at a community hospital. J Pharm Technol. 2020. doi: 10.1177/8755122520924803.
- Huneidi D, Covington EW, Warren E. Use of the nasal MRSA polymerase chain reaction (PCR) screen as an antimicrobial stewardship tool to improve utilization of vancomycin for pneumonia. InPharmative Quarterly. May 2020;6(2):6-10.
- Blair K, Covington EW. Incidence and risk factors of acute kidney injury in patients receiving concomitant vancomycin and continuous-infusion piperacillin/tazobactam: a retrospective cohort study. Ann Pharmacother. 2020. doi: 10.1177/1060028020921170.
- Covington EW, Wingler MJB, Jayakumar RA, White CW. Strategies for clarifying β-Lactam allergies when skin testing is not an option. Pharmacy. 2019;7(2):69. doi: 10.3390/pharmacy7020069.
- Covington EW, Baldwin BJ, Warren E. Pharmacy-Led β-Lactam Allergy Interview (BLAI) Reduces Duration of Fluoroquinolones Within a Community Hospital. Ann Pharmacother. 2019. Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1177/1060028019826223
- Durham S, Covington EW, Clemmons K. Hepatotoxicity upon using niacin to pass a drug test: a case report. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2018;58(5):564-567. doi: 10.1016/j.japh.2018.04.033 (corresponding author)
- Covington EW, Roberts MZ, Dong J. Procalcitonin monitoring as a guide for antimicrobial therapy: a review of current literature. Pharmacotherapy. 2018;38(5):569-581. doi: 10.1002/phar.2112
- Covington EW, Eure S, Carroll D, Freeman C. Impact of procalcitonin monitoring on duration of antibiotics for patients with pneumonia and/or sepsis in a community hospital setting. J Pharm Technol. 2018;34(3):109-116.doi:10.1177/8755122518756333
- Garza KB, Owensby JK, Braxton Lloyd K, Wood E, Hansen RA. Pilot Study to Test the Effectiveness of Different Financial Incentives to Improve Medication Adherence. Ann Pharmacother. 2015;50(1):32-38. doi: 10.1177/1060028015609354.
- Hawthorne B, Fan-Hagenstein H, Wood E, Smith J, Hanks T. Study of the Halogen Bonding between Pyridine and Perfluoralkyl Iodide in Solution Phase Using the Combination of FTIR and 19F NMR. Int J of Spectrosc. 2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/216518
National/International Poster Presentations
- Ball K, Covington EW. Safety and efficacy of apixaban following bioprosthetic valve replacements: a retrospective evaluation. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Virtual Poster Session. December 2020.
- Slaten S, Harnden A, Britton J, Covington EW, Johnson W. Evaluation of SGLT2 inhibitor therapy and other potential risk factors for the development of bacteremia in patients with urosepsis. IDWeek 2020 Virtual Conference. October 2020.
- Eiland LS, Shields KM, Smith SE, Covington EW, Edwards A, Kinney S, Unni E, Haines SL. Development and Assessment of an AACP SIG Faculty Mentoring Program. AACP Annual Meeting. July 2020.
- Bowman C, Covington EW. Determination of the optimal procalcitonin threshold for infection in patients with impaired renal function. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Anaheim, CA. December 2019.
- Stanley S, Covington EW, Jasper L, Arnold RD, Chung AM. Vitamin D supplementation in critically ill children: a prospective dose evaluation. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Anaheim, CA. December 2019.
- Powell BD, Kyle JA, Covington EW. Procalcitonin provides no difference in antibiotic duration for patients with chronic kidney disease. ACCP Annual Meeting. New York, NY. October 2019.
- Thomas MC, Adunlin G, Covington EW, Worthington M, Roberts M, Beall J, Kyle JA. Structured Incremental Measurement of Deliberate and Objective Simulation Experiences-Pilot (SIM DOSE-P). 79th FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. September 2019.
- Covington EW, Kyle JA, Prince VT, Roberts MZ, Worthington MA. Impact of a Collaborative Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience Curriculum on Student-Perceived Ability and Confidence. AACP Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. July 2019.
- Thomas MC, Adunlin G, Worthington M, Covington EW, Roberts MZ, Beall J, Kyle JA. Design and Validation of Structured Incremental Measurement of Deliberate and Objective Simulation Experiences-Pilot (SIM DOSE-P). AACP Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. July 2019.
- Blair KN, Adunlin G, Covington EW. Incidence and predictors of acute kidney injury in patients receiving concomitant vancomycin and continuous-infusion piperacillin/tazobactam. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Anaheim, CA. December 2018.
- Powell BD, Kyle JA, Covington EW. Effect of procalcitonin monitoring on antibiotic duration in patients with chronic kidney disease. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Anaheim, CA. December 2018.
- Dong JW, Covington EW. Evaluation of the impact of fluid resuscitation on mortality in patients with septic shock: A work in progress. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Anaheim, CA. December 2018.
- Covington EW, Clark B, Hightower J. Description and assessment of a pilot interprofessional drug compatibility simulation. ACCP Global Conference. Seattle, WA. October 2018.
- David R, Clark B, Ly Q, Harris C, Wood S, Covington EW, Gorman G, Hightower J. Improved methodology for determining Y-site compatibility of vancomycin and piperacillin/tazobactam. ACCP Global Conference. Seattle, WA. October 2018.
- Dong J, Covington EW, Sholar SM, Galdo JA. A proposed cost-benefit formula for procalcitonin monitoring in pneumonia infections within a health system. APhA Annual Meeting. Nashville, TN. March 2018.
- Jobson B, Covington EW. Impact of pharmacy-led penicillin allergy clarification interviews on levofloxacin, meropenem, and aztreonam duration within a community hospital. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Orlando, FL. December 2017.
- Covington EW, Eure S, Freeman C, Carrol DN. Use of a procalcitonin-based antimicrobial stewardship recommendation to reduce duration of antibiotics in patients with sepsis and/or pneumonia. ACCP Updates in Therapeutics. Jacksonville, FL. February 2018.