Greg Gorman joined McWhorter School of Pharmacy faculty in 2010 after working in the drug discovery/development industry for over 12 years. Research in his laboratory is focused in both non-clinical and clinical areas of interest. The non-clinical research has two primary goals: (1) discovery and development of adjuvants for improved bioactivation of chemotherapeutic prodrugs via enzymatic biomodulation and (2) development of a new class of herbal based aromatase inhibitors for estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer. Clinical research projects address the impact of continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) on the adequacy of IV dosed beta-lactam antibiotics in renally impaired pediatric patients. A second project evaluates physical compatibility of multi-port IV dosing of commonly used medications in different pediatric intensive care units.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., bioanalytical chemistry, University of Georgia
- B.S., chemistry, Armstrong State College
Awards and Honors
- Scholar Award in published Scholarship, 2014
- Superior Scholar Award in published Scholarship, 2015
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Drug metabolism
- Chemotherapeutic pro-drug activation
- Drug-drug and drug-herbal interactions
- Gorman, G., Miller, R. , Joiner, L. , Quattlebaum, C. , Benner, K. (2017, September) Multiport Y-Site Compatabil-ity of a Parenteral Nutrition Solution with Routinely used Pediatric CVICU Mediation. Adv, Crit. Care Med. (1) 2017, epub: http://www.scientificoajournals.org/pdf/accm.1001.pdf
- Gorman, G., Sokom, S., Coward, L., Arnold, J. (2017) Development and Application of a High Per-formance Liquid Chromatographic Stability Indicating Assay for Beyond Use Date De-termination of Compounded Topical Gels Containing Multiple Active Drugs International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 21(2), 164-170.
- Henry, T.R., Penn, L.D. Conerty, J.R., Wright, F.E., Gorman, G.S. and Pack B.W.(November 2016) Best Practices in Stability Indicating Method Development and Validation for Non-Clinical Dose Formulations. The AAPS Journal, 1418-1423.
- Hoj, T.H., Robinson, R.J., Burton, J.C., Densley-Ure, R.A., Olson, T.V., Williams, L.K., Coward, L., Gorman, G., and Hansen, M.D.H. (August 2016) Small molecules revealed in a screen targeting epithelial scattering are inhibitors of microtubule polymerization. Journal of Biomolecular Screening 21(7), 671-679.
- Malik, A., Gorman, G.S., Coward, L., Arnold, J.J. (2016) Stability of an Extemporaneously Com-pounded Oral Suspension of Bosentan. Hosp. Pharm. 51(5), 389-395.
- Cutshall, B.T. , Gorman, G.S., Freeman, M.K., Kyle, J.A. (2016) Enzymatic Stability of Alteplase Solu-tion for Injection: Effect of Various Methods of Thawing Frozen Solutions. Hosp Pharm 51(3), 246-251.
- Bryson, E., Hartman, R., Arnold, J., Gorman, G., Sweitzer, S., Asbill, S. (2015) Skin Permeation and Antinociception of Compounded Topical Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Formulations. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, 19(2), 161-166.
- Taylor, M.H., Sandler, A., Urba, W.J., Omuro, A.P, Gorman, G.S., Karmali, R.A., (2015) Effect of Carboxyamidotriazole Orotate, a Modulator of Calcium-Dependent Signaling Path-ways, on Advanced Solid Tumors. Journal of Cancer Therapy, 6, 322-333.
- Grappe, F., Nance, G., Coward, L., Gorman, G.S., (2014) In Vitro Inhibitory effects of Herbal Sup-plements on Tamoxifen and Irinotecan Metabolism. Drug Metabolism and Drug Interactions, 29(4), 269-279.
- Karmali, R.A., Maxuitenko, Y., Gorman, G.S., (2014) Comparative Response of SC CAKI-1 Renal Tumor to Treatment with Doxorubicin HCl and Doxorubicin Orotate. Journal of Cancer Therapy, 5, 427-441.
- Gorman, G.S., Coward, L.C., Darby, A. and Rasberry, B. (2013) Effects of herbal supplements on the bioactivation of chemotherapeutic agents. J. Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 65(7), 1014-1025.
- Palmer AL, Gorman GS, Cates ME. “Relationship of lithium in drinking water to suicide rates across fifteen Alabama counties” presented at College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists Annual Meeting; April 2017; Phoenix, AZ
- Greenhill K., Coward L., Gorman G. “In vitro Investigations of Commercially Available Over-the-Counter Herbal Supplements on Enzymatic Activation of the Chemotherapeutic Prodrug Tamoxifen” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Denver, CO. Nov 2016
- Walker E., Coward L., Gorman G. “In Vitro Inhibitory Effects of Commercially Available Herbal Supplements on the Cyclooxygenase II Pathway” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Denver, CO. Nov 2016
- Roberts, R., Coward, L., Gorman G. “In Vitro Investigations of Increased Biomodulated Activation of Irinotecan to Its Active Metabolite (SN-38) Using Herbal Extracts” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Denver, CO. Nov 2016.
- Diaz F, Benner KW, Sewell K, Daniel L, Kalra Y, Sims PJ, Gorman GS “Adequacy of beta-lactam antibiotic dosing in critically ill children on continuous renal replacement therapy: A pilot study” presented at 8th World Congress of the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive & Critical Care Societies (PICC 2016) to be held in Toronto, Ontario, Canada June 4-8, 2016.
- Omuro A, Beal K, McNeill K, Thomas A, , Lin X, Kaley T, DeAngelis L, Mellinghoff I, Diamond E, Chan T, Young R, Arevalo J, Yamada J, Gorman G, Lamson M, Bavisotto L, Karmali R. “Phase IB Trial of Carboxyamidotriazole orotate (CTO) and Radiotherapy with Concurrent and Adjuvant Temozolomide in Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma” presented at Amerian Society of Clinical Oncology Chicago IL, June 2016.
- Foyt, J. Gorman, G. “In vitro Effects of Herbal Supplements and Components on Aromatase Activity” presented at America Society of Health System Pharamacist New Orleans LA, Dec 2015.
- Nance, G., Grappe, F., Coward, C. Gorman, G. “In Vitro Inhibitory Effects of Herbal Supplements on Tamoxifen and Irinotecan Metabolism” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists San Diego CA. Nov 2014
- Drug metabolism
- Drug-herbal interactions
- Aromatase inhitors
- Chemotherapeutic pro-drug activation