Greg Gorman joined McWhorter School of Pharmacy faculty in 2010 after working in the drug discovery/development industry for over 12 years. Research in his laboratory is focused in both non-clinical and clinical areas of interest. The non-clinical research has two primary goals: (1) discovery and development of adjuvants for improved bioactivation of chemotherapeutic prodrugs via enzymatic biomodulation and (2) development of a new class of herbal based aromatase inhibitors for estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer. Clinical research projects address the impact of continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) on the adequacy of IV dosed beta-lactam antibiotics in renally impaired pediatric patients. A second project evaluates physical compatibility of multi-port IV dosing of commonly used medications in different pediatric intensive care units.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., bioanalytical chemistry, University of Georgia
- B.S., chemistry, Armstrong State College
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scholar Award in Published Scholarship, 2019
- Superior Scholar Award in published Scholarship, 2015
- Scholar Award in published Scholarship, 2014
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Drug metabolism
- Chemotherapeutic pro-drug activation
- Drug-drug and drug-herbal interactions
- Kong M, Zhang W, Sewell K, Gorman G, Kio H, Aban I, Ambalavanan N, Whitley R. “Azithromycin Treatment vs Placebo in Children with Respiratory Syncytial Virus-Induced Respiratory Failure: A Phase 2 Randomized Clinical Trial” J. American Medical Association, April 2020 3(4) EPub: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2764907.
- Greenhill K, Hornsby E, Gorman G. “Investigations of physical compatibilities of commonly used intravenous medications with and without parenteral nutrition in pediatric cardiovascular intensive care unit patients”Pharmaceuticals June2019; 12(2) EPub: https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/12/2/67.
- Palmer A, Cates ME, Gorman G. “The Association Between Lithium in Drinking Water and Incidence of Suicide Across 15 Alabama Counties” Crisis 2019 (40), 93-99.
- Ederer KA, Jin K, Bouslog S, Wang L, Gorman GS, Rowe GC, Abadir P, Raftery D, Moellering D, Promislow D, Jumbo-Lucioni P, and De Luca M. “Age- and Genotype-Specific Effects of the Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Lisinopril on Mitochondrial and Metabolic Parameters in Drosophila melanogaster” Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018, 19(11), 3351-3367.
- Omuro A, Beal K, McNeill K, Kaley T, DeAngelis L, Diamond E, Manne E, Caterfino A, Bavisotto L, Gorman G, Lamson M, Tabar V, Chakravarty D, Karmali R, Pentsova E. “Multicenter Phase IB Trial of Carboxyamidotriazole Orotate (CTO) and Temozolomide for Recurrent and Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma and other Anaplastic Gliomas” J Clin Oncol. 2018 Jun 10;36(17):1702-1709.
- Joiner L, Tynes C, Miller R, Arnold J. Gorman, GS “Physical Compatibility of Micafungin with Sodium Bicarbonate Hydration Fluids Commonly used with High Dose Methotrexate Chemotherapy” Hosp Pharm 53(2), 2018, 125-127.
- Gorman G, Miller R, Joiner L, Quattlebaum C, Benner, K. “Multiport Y-Site Compatibility of a Parenteral Nutrition Solution with Routinely used Pediatric CVICU Mediation” Adv, Crit. Care Med. Sept (1) 2017, epub: http://www.scientificoajournals.org/pdf/accm.1001.pdf.
- Gorman GS, Sokom S, Coward L, Arnold J. “Development and Application of a High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Stability Indicating Assay for Beyond Use Date Determination of Compounded Topical Gels Containing Multiple Active Drugs” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 21(2); 2017, 164-170.
- Henry TR, Penn LD, Conerty JR, Wright FE, Gorman, GS and Pack BW. “Best Practices in Stability Indicating Method Development and Validation for Non-Clinical Dose Formulations” The AAPS Journal Nov 2016; 18(6), 1418-1423.
- Hoj TH, Robinson RJ, Burton JC, Densley-Ure RA, Olson TV, Williams LK, Coward L Gorman G, and Hansen MDH. “Small molecules revealed in a screen targeting epithelial scattering are inhibitors of microtubule polymerization” Journal of Biomolecular Screening Aug;21(7):2016, 671-679.
- Malik A, Gorman GS, Coward L, Arnold JJ. “Stability of an Extemporaneously Compounded Oral Suspension of Bosentan” Hosp Pharm 51(5), 2016, 389-395.
- Cutshall, BT, Gorman GS, Freeman MK, Kyle , JA. “Enzymatic Stability of Alteplase Solution for Injection: Effect of Various Methods of Thawing Frozen Solutions” Hosp Pharm 51(3), 2016, 246-251.
- Bryson, E. Hartman R, Arnold J, Gorman G, Sweitzer S, Asbill S. “Skin Permeation and Antinociception of Compounded Topical Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Formulations” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, 2015, Mar/Apr Volume 19, Number 2 161-166.
- Taylor, MH, Sandler, A., Urba, WJ., Omuro, AP, Gorman, GS., Karmali, RA., “Effect of Carboxyamidotriazole Orotate, a Modulator of Calcium-Dependent Signaling Pathways, on Advanced Solid Tumors” Journal of Cancer Therapy, 2015, 6, 322-333.
- Price A., Amoussou, K., Gorman G., Bui L. “Room Temperature and Referigerated Stability of Angiotensin II at Clinically Relavent Concentrations” presented at the ALSHP Annual Clinical Meeting, September 2019 Birmingham AL.
- Whitaker C, Cates ME, Crithirds DL, Gorman GS. “Association between heavey metal content in Drinking Water and Mortality due to Sucide” presented at the April 2019 College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists, Salt Lake City Utah.
- Grubb E, Gorman, G. “Theoritical dosing erros in using the stnadarized 20 mg/ mL flecainide oral suspension” American Society of Hospitla Pharmacist Midyear meeting December 2018 Anaheim CA.
- Cates M, McAvoy K, Cruthirds, D, Gorman, G “Association between lithium in drinking water and mortality due to suicide and homicide” presented at 2018 FIP Congress, Glasgow Scotland.
- Sims N, Benner K, Kalra Y, Sewell K, Daniel L, Kong M, Sims P, Gorman G. “ Dosing Adequacy of Piperacillin in Children on Continous Venovenous Hemodialysis: A Pilot Study” presented at the Society of Critical Care Medicine: February 2018 San Antonio TX.
- Thomas J, Ingram I, Ramsey N, Okumu L, Coward L, Gorman G, Jumbo-Lucioni P. “Decline in physical function is sensitive to pharmacologiacl intervention in a Drosophila model of Alzheimer’s disease” presented at Alabama Society of Health System Pharmacist 66the annual clinical meeting October 2018 Birmingham, AL.
- Palmer AL, Gorman GS, Cates ME. “Relationship of lithium in drinking water to suicide rates across fifteen Alabama counties” presented at College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists Annual Meeting; April 2017; Phoenix, AZ.
- Greenhill K., Coward L., Gorman G. “In vitro Investigations of Commercially Available Over-the-Counter Herbal Supplements on Enzymatic Activation of the Chemotherapeutic Prodrug Tamoxifen” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Denver, CO. Nov 2016
- Walker E., Coward L., Gorman G. “In Vitro Inhibitory Effects of Commercially Available Herbal Supplements on the Cyclooxygenase II Pathway” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Denver, CO. Nov 2016
- Roberts, R., Coward, L., Gorman G. “In Vitro Investigations of Increased Biomodulated Activation of Irinotecan to Its Active Metabolite (SN-38) Using Herbal Extracts” presented at American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Denver, CO. Nov 2016.
- Diaz F, Benner KW, Sewell K, Daniel L, Kalra Y, Sims PJ, Gorman GS “Adequacy of beta-lactam antibiotic dosing in critically ill children on continuous renal replacement therapy: A pilot study” presented at 8th World Congress of the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive & Critical Care Societies (PICC 2016) to be held in Toronto, Ontario, Canada June 4-8, 2016.
- Drug metabolism
- Drug-herbal interactions
- Aromatase inhitors
- Chemotherapeutic pro-drug activation