Greg Gorman joined McWhorter School of Pharmacy faculty in 2010 after working in the drug discovery/development industry for over 12 years. Research in his laboratory is focused in both non-clinical and clinical areas of interest. The non-clinical research has two primary goals: (1) discovery and development of adjuvants for improved bioactivation of chemotherapeutic prodrugs via enzymatic biomodulation and (2) development of a new class of herbal based aromatase inhibitors for estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer. Clinical research projects address the impact of continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) on the adequacy of IV dosed beta-lactam antibiotics in renally impaired pediatric patients. A second project evaluates physical compatibility of multi-port IV dosing of commonly used medications in different pediatric intensive care units.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., bioanalytical chemistry, University of Georgia
- B.S., chemistry, Armstrong State College
Awards and Honors
- Lifetime Achievement Scholarship Award 2022
- Samford University Outstanding Scholarship Award August 2020
- Distinguished Scholar Award in Published Scholarship, 2019
- Superior Scholar Award in Published Scholarship, 2015
- Scholar Award in Published Scholarship, 2014
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Drug metabolism
- Chemotherapeutic pro-drug activation
- Drug-drug and drug-herbal interactions
- Naffouje SA, Goto M, Coward LU, Gorman GS, Christov K, Wang L, Green A, Shilkaitis A, Das Gupta TK, and Yamada T. “Nontoxic Tumor-Targeting Optical Agents for Intraoperative Breast Tumor Imaging” J. Med Chem. Accepted for publication 5/2022 https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.2c00417
- McGill MR, Findley DL, Mazur A, Yee EU, Allard FD, Powers A, Coward L, Blough ER, Gorman GS, Hambuchen MD “Radiation effects on methamphetamine pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in rats” European Journal of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, European Journal of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics February 2022 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13318-022-00755-y.
- Crane RA, Grubb ES, Coward LU and Gorman GS. "In vitro metabolic biomodulation of irinotecan to increase potency and reduce dose-limiting toxicity by inhibition of SN-38 glucuronide formation" Drug Metabolism and Personalized Therapy, vol. no. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1515/dmpt-2021-0178.
- Smith CA, Smith H, Roberts L, Coward L, Gorman GS, Verma A, Li Q, Buford TW, Carter CS, Jumbo-Lucioni P. “Probiotic Releasing Angiotensin (1-7) in a Drosophila Model of Alzheimer’s Disease Produces Sex-Specific Effects on Cognitive Function”. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 85 (2022) 1205–1217.
- Lee K, Chang W, Chen X, Valiyaveettil J, Ramirez-Alcantara V, Gavin E, Musiyenko A, da Silva LM, Annamdevula N, Leavesley S, Ward A, Mattox T, Lindsey A, Andrews J, Zhu B, Wood C, Neese A, Nguyen A, Berry K, Maxuitenko Y, Moyer M, Nurmemmedov E, Gorman GS, Coward L, Zhou G, Keeton A, Cooper H, Clapper M, and Piazza G. “Sup-pression of colon tumorigenesis in mutant Apc mice by a novel PDE10 inhibitor that re-duces oncogenic β-catenin” Cancer Prevention Research 2021 Nov;14(11):995-1008.
- Thomas J, Smith H, Smith CA, Coward L, Gorman G, De Luca M, Jumbo-Luciona P. “The Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Lisinopril Mitigates Memory and Motor Deficits in a Drosophila Model of Alzheimer’s Disease” Pathophysiology 2021, 28, 307–319.
- Levinson B, Leary S, Bassett B, Cook C, Gorman G, Coward L. “Pharmacokinetic and Histopathologic Study of an Extended-Release, Injectable Formulation of Buprenorphine in Sprague–Dawley Rats” Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science 2021 60(4):1-8.
- Whitaker CC, Cates ME, Cruthirds DL, Gorman GS “Association Between Concentrations of Chromium in Drinking Water and Mortality Due to Suicide in Alabama” Journal of Water and Health 2020 Oct 18(5): 835-842.
- Berquist MD, McGill MR, Mazur A, Findley DL, Gorman GS, Jones CB, Hambuchen MD. “Effect of bile duct ligation-induced liver dysfunction on methamphetamine pharmacokinetics in male and female rats” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 215 October 2020, 108190.
- Khan MA, Srivastava SK, Zubair H, Patel GK, Arora S, Khushman M, Carter JE, Gorman GS, Singh S, Singh AP. “Co-targeting of CXCR4 and Hedgehog Pathways Disrupts Tu-mor-Stromal Crosstalk and Improves Chemotherapeutic Efficacy in Pancreatic Cancer” J. Biol Chem. May 2020 (295), 8413-8424.
- Kong M, Zhang W, Sewell K, Gorman GS, Kio H, Aban I, Ambalavanan N, Whitley R. “Azithromycin Treatment vs Placebo in Children with Respiratory Syncytial Virus-Induced Respiratory Failure: A Phase 2 Randomized Clinical Trial” J. American Medical Association, April 2020 3(4) EPub: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2764907.
- Greenhill K, Hornsby E, Gorman GS. “Investigations of physical compatibilities of commonly used intravenous medications with and without parenteral nutrition in pediatric cardiovascular intensive care unit patients” Pharmaceuticals June2019; 12(2) EPub: https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/12/2/67.
- Farmer S, Gorman GS “Pharmacology of commercially available CBD oils and investigations of potential drug interactions with commonly prescribed opioids, anti-seizure and anticoagulant” Continuing Education for Jefferson County Pharmacists Association November 2021.
- Hambuchen MD, Findley DL, Coward L, Gorman GS. 2021 Symposium on Substance Use Research oral presentation, “Association Between Brain and Serum Methamphetamine Disposition and Methamphetamine-Induced Locomotor Activity After Subcutaneous Administration in Mice,” Virtual Meeting (November 11, 2021).
- Parker SJ, Gorman GS, Cates ME, Cruthirds D, Coward L. “Effects of Different Cannabidiol (CBD) Oils on the Anti-Seizure Medication Phenytoin” Mental Health Clinician (2021) 11 (2): 86. Presented at the CPNP 2021 Annual Meeting April 2021.
- Price Ad, Gorman GS, Cates ME, Cruthirds D, Coward L. “Characterization of Commercial Cannabidiol Oil Products and the In-Vitro Biomodulation of Citalopram and Escitalopram” Clinician (2021) 11 (2): 84. Presented at the CPNP 2021 Annual Meeting April 2021.
- Click C, Cates ME, Gorman GS, Cruthirds D, Coward L. “Evaluation of Commercially Available Cannabidiol Oils on the Metabolism of Commonly Prescribed Opioid Medications” Mental Health Clinician (2021) 11 (2): 88. Presented at the CPNP 2021 Annual Meeting April 2021.
- Smith H, Smith AC, Roberts L., Gorman G, Verma A, Li Q, Buford T, Carter C, Jumbo-Lucioni P. “Angiotensin (1-7) Expressing Lactobacillus displays Gender-Specific Effects on Cognitive Function in a Fly Model of Alzheimer’s Disease” presented at Midwest Drosophila Conference, October 2020, Bloomington IN.
- Cates ME, Holley S, Lott A, Cruthirds D, Gorman GS. “Effects of cannabidiol oil on in vitro metabolism of antidepressant medications J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2020; 3:1233.
- Price A., Amoussou, K., Gorman G., Bui L. “Room Temperature and Refrigerated Stability of Angiotensin II at Clinically Relevant Concentrations” presented at the ALSHP Annual Clinical Meeting, September 2019 Birmingham AL.
- Whitaker C, Cates ME, Cruthirds DL, Gorman GS. “Association between heavy metal content in Drinking Water and Mortality due to Suicide” presented at the April 2019 College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists, Salt Lake City Utah.
- Grubb E, Gorman, G. “Theoretical dosing errors in using the standardized 20 mg/ mL flecainide oral suspension” American Society of Hospital Pharmacist Midyear meeting December 2018 Anaheim CA.
- Cates M, McAvoy K, Cruthirds, D, Gorman, G “Association between lithium in drinking water and mortality due to suicide and homicide” presented at 2018 FIP Congress, Glasgow Scotland.
- Sims N, Benner K, Kalra Y, Sewell K, Daniel L, Kong M, Sims P, Gorman G. “ Dosing Adequacy of Piperacillin in Children on Continuous Venovenous Hemodialysis: A Pilot Study” presented at the Society of Critical Care Medicine: February 2018 San Antonio TX.
- Drug metabolism
- Drug-herbal interactions
- Aromatase inhitors
- Chemotherapeutic pro-drug activation