Howard P. Hendrickson, Ph.D.
Howard Hendrickson came to Samford University from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Pharmacy, where he was an associate professor and program director for the Pharmaceutical Sciences graduate program. The foundation of his research is grounded in his background in bioanalytical chemistry, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics. He would like to grow our understanding of how interactions between nutrition, genetics and drug therapy affect chronic conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease. He strongly believes that building interdisciplinary collaborations is the most effective way to improve human health by answering these and other challenging questions. McWhorter School of Pharmacy’s focus on providing a unique educational experience for future pharmacists and developing collaborative projects with major research institutions in the area provide a vibrant environment for this approach.
He has been married to Tina for 26 years and they have two children, Caitlyn and Alex. Tina is a chemist and has taught high school chemistry for 15 years.
- Post-doctoral fellowship, pharmacology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Ph.D., analytical chemistry, University of Arkansas
- M.S. bioanalytical chemistry, University of Kansas
- B.S., chemistry, University of Arkansas
- Bioanalytical chemistry
- Drug metabolism
- American Chemical Society
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity
- Liu X, Wang Y, Zhang X, Gao Z, Zhang S, Shi P, Zhang X, Song L, Hendrickson H, Zhou D, Zheng G.; Senolytic activity of piperlongumine analogues: Synthesis and biological evaluation; Bioorg Med Chem. (2018) pii: S0968-0896(18)30794-6.
- Hambuchen MD, Hendrickson HP, Gunnell MG, McClenahan SJ, Ewing LE, Gibson DM, Berquist MD, Owens SM. The pharmacokinetics of racemic MDPV and its (R) and (S) enantiomers in female and male rats. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017; 179:347-354.
- Arthur C, Song L, Culp W, Brown A, Borrelli M, Skinner R, Hendrickson H. Tissue Concentration of Dodecafluoropentane (DDFP) Following Repeated IV Administration in the New Zealand White Rabbit. AAPS J. 2017; 19:520-526
- Hambuchen MD, Hendrickson HP, Owens SM. Chiral determination of 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone enantiomers in rat serum. Anal Methods. 2017; 9:609-617
- Mitchell A, Hall RW, Erickson SW, Yates C, Hendrickson H. Systemic Absorption of Cyclopentolate and Adverse Events After Retinopathy of Prematurity Exams. Curr Eye Res. 2016; 41:1601-1607
- Clinically relevant effects of natural products on drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics