Crystal Deas is a Georgia native and military spouse with experience in a variety of pharmacy settings. Her experience includes a Ferguson Fellowship with the CDC, a previous primary care faculty appointment and various clinical pharmacy specialist positions within the VA health care system. Her favorite scripture is Psalms 37:4-5, Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Deas feels blessed that the Lord opened the door for her to return to academia as a member of the McWhorter School of Pharmacy faculty, and she is honored to play a role in developing the future of pharmacy.
Degrees and Certifications
- Pharm.D., Xavier University of Louisiana
- PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency, Grady Health System
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, Board of Pharmacy Specialties
Ambulatory care, HIV/AIDS specialty care, geriatrics, long-term care and inpatient general medicine
Awards and Honors
- Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR), Certificate of Excellence, 2011
- Deas C, Clark S, and Freeman MK. Evaluation of Antidiabetic Injectable Technique: Is There an Association between Accuracy and Health Literacy or Duration of Diabetes? Iip. March 2020: 11(1), Article 17.
- Skelley JW, Deas CM, Curren Z, and Ennis J. Use of cannabidiol in anxiety and anxiety-related disorders. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2019 Dec 19.
- White CW, Kyle JA, Deas CM, and Campbell J. Noncarbapenems for the Treatment of Urinary Tract Infections Caused by Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase-Producing Bacteria. South Med J. 2019; 112(8):438-443.
- Stockton K and Deas C. Evaluation of Outcomes of a Pharmacist-Run, Outpatient Insulin Titration Telepharmacy Service. iip. May 2019:10(2):Article 5.
- Deas C and White CW. Pilot Study to Assess Outcomes of a Drug Allergy Clarification Service on a General Medicine Floor at a Local Community Hospital. iip. Nov 2018;9(3):Article 10.
- Murphy PZ, Iranikhah M, Deas C, Freeman MK. Fracture Risk Following Discontinuation of Teriparatide: A review of the Literature. Consult Pharm. 2018;33(7):365-75.
- Crosby B and Deas CM. Repurposing medications for use in treating HIV infection: A focus on valproic acid as a latency‐reversing agent. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2018;00:1–6.
- Deas C, Thomason A, Riggs R, Thomas M, Kendrach M. Use of a Video Module to Improve Faculty Understanding of the Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process. iip. May 2018;9(2):Article 9.
- Iranikhah M, Deas C, Murphy P, Freeman MK. Effects of Denosumab After Treatment Discontinuation: A Review of the Literature. Consult Pharm. 2018 Mar 1;33(3):142-151.
- Sochovka E, Riles J, Deas C, Kyle J. Continuing Education: Psychotropic Drug Interactions: A Review. U.S. Pharmacist 2017 Nov. 38-45.
- Kahl C and Deas C. Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis (EIAn) in an Air Force Aviator taking a HMG-CoA reductase Inhibitor: A Case Report and Review of the Presentation, Diagnoses, and Treatment of EIAn. Military Medicine 2017. May:182(5): e1816-19.
- Deas C, Murphy P, Iranikhah, Freeman M. Retained skeletal effects of zoledronic acid following treatment discontinuation: a review of the literature. Consultant Pharm. 2017. March;32(3): 144-55.
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Alabama Society of Health System Pharmacists (ALSHP)
- Alabama Medicaid Drug Utilization Review (DUR) Board