After earning a Doctor of Pharmacy, many new pharmacists complete a postgraduate pharmacy residency to further develop their pharmacy practice skills.
Samford University’s McWhorter School of Pharmacy offers a postgraduate year one (PGY1) managed care residency program, which is a 12-month intensive learning experience based in managed care. It is designed to develop leaders through experiences in trend management, clinical decision support and consultation, utilization management and leadership.
Residents will advance managed care principles, educate payers and consultants, conduct population-based research, engage in evidence-based patient care and deliver pharmacy benefits advisement.
The residency is offered in partnership with RxBenefits in Birmingham, Alabama.
The purpose of this residency program is to develop managed care pharmacist practitioners with diverse analytical, consultative, and leadership skills who are eligible to pursue a novel career pathway focused on delivering affordable and sustainable healthcare services.
Learning Experiences and Opportunities
Learning ExperiencesThe PGY1 managed care pharmacy residency is structured around six learning experiences:
- Strategic pharmacy trend management
- Candid clinical consultations
- Clinical decision support
- Utilization and formulary management
- Patient care and disease management
- Leadership and professional development
- Teaching certificate
- Presentation and state/regional/national meetings
- Elective rotations
- American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacy Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Alabama Society of Health-System Pharmacists Annual Clinical Meeting
- Other travel as needed
Applications are due by January 8, 2024.
- Completed PhORCAS application
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae
- Official pharmacy school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
Note: Due to state regulations that significantly delay licensure, we are unable to consider international applications.