Opera Birmingham and Samford University have joined to create the Opera Birmingham Studio at Samford University. This two-year program will allow singers to enroll in Samford University’s graduate vocal performance degree while simultaneously receiving professional performance opportunities throughout Opera Birmingham’s season.
Studio Artists will be assigned comprimario or cover roles in Opera Birmingham’s staged productions, appear as guest artists at Opera Birmingham concerts and events, and participate in joint Opera Birmingham/Samford Opera educational programs. Studio Artists will have numerous performance opportunities at Samford, including opera scenes programs and mainstage productions. Weekly voice lessons, masterclasses from visiting guest artists, seminars and classes in performance, literature, and history are included as part of the master’s degree program. For over a century, Samford has been a leading voice program in the Southeast. Alumni perform on the world’s most acclaimed opera, music theatre, and concert stages. Faculty are distinguished scholars and performers.
Multiple positions are available for fall 2021 to qualified candidates. Benefits include:
- Up to full tuition covered by Samford University (scholarships and graduate assistantships)
- Up to $5,000 stipend from Opera Birmingham
To be considered for the Master in Music in Vocal Performance program and the Opera Birmingham Studio at Samford, singers must either audition live at Samford (dates TBD in November and January) or submit a video audition by February 1, 2021.
Complete your application today!
Audition requirements: Five memorized, contrasting selections, with representation of English, German, Italian, and French literature. Prospective students wishing to be considered for the Opera Birmingham Studio should present at least two arias at the audition, with an additional three selections of either art songs or arias. Prospective students who are not interested in the Opera Birmingham Studio should present at least one aria or oratorio piece at the audition, with an additional four selections of either art songs or arias. Prospective students will take placement exams in music history, music theory, and diction. Complete your application today!
Is this program for me?
This degree is right for you if…
- your goal is to become an opera, oratorio, or musical theatre performer, a recitalist, or a professional chorus member.
- your passion is solo or collaborative performance.
- you enjoy singing on stage with a full orchestra.
- you imagine yourself competing at the highest level at national competitions and auditions.
- you imagine becoming a teacher of singing at the university level.
- you wish to serve as a professional singer at a church.
- you are considering a doctoral degree in vocal performance or an artist diploma in the future.
Students graduating with a Master of Music in Vocal Performance can pursue careers as musicians. Our students perform in professional concert, opera, oratorio, musical theatre, and church settings. Many students become instructors of voice in addition to their work as performers. Some students choose to audition for young artist programs and further education in doctoral programs across the country.