Samford’s Division of Music offers degrees in specialized performance areas. Vocal Performance provides opportunities to participate in multiple ensembles, perform with the Samford Opera, workshops, annual musicals and educational touring programs.
Visit Samford and Learn More About our Program
Samford's Division of Music hosts Backstage Pass in the spring and fall. We invite students to come to campus, engage with our faculty, attend classes or an ensemble rehearsal and learn more about studying music at Samford.
I’m so thankful I had the opportunity to study Vocal Performance at Samford. From my studies with the uniquely distinguished faculty to singing in award-winning ensembles, I know that my time and energy was well spent. I had countless performance opportunities as a solo performer in recitals, concerts, and in opera and musical theatre productions. The Vocal Performance degree was a true fulfillment of everything I needed as a student and performer, and, even more importantly, the relationships that were established with the faculty have transformed my art as well as my whole self.Evan Woods Gunter, '17, Vocal Performance Major
Objectives and Curriculum
Is This Program for Me?
This major is right for you if
- your passion is solo or collaborative performance.
- you enjoy singing on stage with a full orchestra.
- you imagine yourself competing at the highest level at state and national competitions.
- you hope to become a teacher of singing.
- you wish to serve as a professional singer at a church.
- your goal is to become a professional opera, oratorio, or classical music theatre performer.
- you are considering a master’s degree in vocal performance in the future.
Many of our students go on to careers performing in concert, opera, oratorio, musical theatre, and church settings. A number of our students become instructors of voice in addition to their work as performers. Some of our students choose to continue their studies in vocal performance in graduate programs across the country.
Faculty & Ensembles
- Philip Copeland
- Brad Diamond
- Laura Doss
- Joseph Hopkins
- Kristin Kenning
- Sharon Lawhon
- Angela Yoon
- A Cappella Choir
- University Chorale
- Samford Opera