What are some examples of common accommodations requested for approval by Accessibility and Accommodations?
How do I register for accessible or handicap parking?
How do I request a Foreign Language Substitution?
How do I request housing accommodations? How do I request a meal plan exemption or reduction?
Are personal services provided?
How do I request an accommodation for the physical education requirement?
What if I have a service or assistance animal?
Is there a student group for students with disabilities?
What about confidentiality? Who has access to my information?

What are some examples of common accommodations requested?

Absence Accommodation
Audio Recording
Books in Alternative Format
Test Proctoring
Interpreting and CART Services
Note Taker
Personal Attendant

Absence Accommodation

“The classroom is the place where each student contributes to the learning experience of his or her classmates; therefore, the value of the classroom academic experience cannot be fully measured by testing procedures alone. Class attendance policies are established by each school at the university, and specific attendance requirements are indicated in the syllabus of each class.”—Samford University Student Handbook

While class attendance is very important, students with disabilities affecting class attendance may be eligible for an absence accommodation. The absence accommodation allows consideration for a reasonable number of absences beyond what is required unless the absences create a fundamental alteration of the essential function of the course or program. Students who are eligible for an absence accommodation are responsible for the following in the event such student is absent from class because of disability related issues:

  1. At your earliest convenience, inform your instructor that you are absent due to disability related symptoms. Accessibility and Accommodations recommends you e-mail your professor, save a copy of the message for your records and send a courtesy copy to Accessibility and Accommodations. Contact your professor by phone if you do not have access to e-mail. It is imperative that your professor is aware of your absence as soon as possible.
  2. If you visit a physician or other type of care-giver, please obtain a signed excuse to give to your professor.
  3. You are responsible for any work or exams you miss due to an absence. Arrange to complete missed assignments and/or exams with your professor in a timely manner.

The student must comply with these procedures for each absence related to his/her disability. Failure to communicate with the appropriate persons in a timely manner could result in loss of consideration for absences.

Audio Recording

Students that are eligible to audio record class lectures must agree to the following terms in order for Accessibility and Accommodations to request this accommodation.

I agree to abide by the policy of audio recording lectures as established by Accessibility and Accommodations as well as any other applicable course, department, school, or University policy. I will not copy, distribute, sell, or share audio recording with other students or non-students. I understand that failure to abide by the audio recording policy may result in academic misconduct.

On the final day of the term or before, I will erase audio recordings from all my classes.

Books in Alternative Format

Many students with learning and/or physical disabilities are interested in obtaining their textbooks in alternate formats as an auxiliary aid to assist them with their reading and coursework. Although most alternate formats may be acquired within weeks, requests for customized alternate formats such as Braille can take considerably longer. Once the accommodation has been approved, you must meet with a Accessibility and Accommodations staff member to obtain additional information concerning specific policies and procedures, as well as how to make effective use of this accommodation.

Test Proctoring

The Test Proctoring Center is provided as a service to assist faculty in their efforts to provide testing accommodations for students with disabilities. While it is preferable for students to take tests within close proximity to professors, Accessibility and Accommodations is available to assist when this is not possible. The center proctors tests only for students registered with Accessibility and Accommodations.


Dwight Beeson Hall 315


Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–4 p.m. (exams must be finished by 4 p.m.)

Student Responsibilities

  1. Use our online services to send accommodation letters.  Students will need to select “Alternative Testing” for each class in which you wish to use exam accommodations. 
  2. Student schedules a meeting with each professor to discuss and determine how exam accommodations will be provided in each course. There are 2 outcomes:
    1. Exam accommodations will be provided by the professor, or the professor’s designee. In this case, no further arrangements are necessary, if the students understands the arrangement and feels the arrangement is sufficient to provide the accommodation(s).
    2. Exam accommodations will be provided using Accessibility and Accommodations' exam proctoring services. In this case, the student and professor should discuss using Accessibility and Accommodations exam proctoring services for the student to receive exam accommodations.
  3. Proceed with step 3.
  4. Student will use our online services to schedule an exam proctoring appointment for any exams that need to be proctored by Accessibility and Accommodations.  Exams should be scheduled at least 2 business days in advance of the exam date.  Students will receive an email reminder regarding the date and time for which their exam is scheduled, along with the location to report to, 1 business day prior to the exam appointment.

Faculty Responsibilities

  • Discuss with the student specific test proctoring/accommodation needs and plans
  • Complete Testing agreement, including specific guidelines and test routing procedures
  • Provide the test to Accessibility and Accommodations no later than 12 p.m. the business day before the test.

Interpreting and CART Services

The goal of Accessibility and Accommodations in the area of interpreting services is to facilitate the process of providing high quality interpreting services to deaf and hard-of-hearing clients (D/HoH). Accessibility and Accommodations will serve in a mediator capacity to ensure appropriate accommodations are provided to D/HoH students as mandated by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Procedures for Securing Sign Language Interpreters for Non-Academic Events and Programs

The Office of Accessibility and Accommodations provides services free of charge for departments and currently enrolled students as they fulfill their academic requirements. The office is available to assist the campus in providing accommodations, including sign language interpreters, for events involving the general public and invited guests. Please contact Accessibility and Accommodations as soon as you are aware of the need for such services. We will provide the names and contact information of interpreters, and assist in locating appropriate services. The department requesting services is responsible for the cost of professional interpreting services.

The Interpreter’s Role

An interpreter is a professional communication facilitator between D/HoH individuals and hearing individuals. The purpose of an interpreter is to provide a meaningful communication exchange equal to that of a hearing individual. The interpreter uses a specific sign language to communicate the spoken word to D/HoH clients. Interpreters will use their voice to communicate sign language to hearing clients. Some D/HoH individuals however, prefer to voice for themselves. The interpreter is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the environment is appropriate and conducive for interpreting.

The Transcriptionist Role

The transcriptionist is a professional communication facilitator. The transcriptionist will provide transcribed notes of class communication. The interpreter/transcriptionist is not a tutor, instructor, note-taker or counselor and should not engage in these roles.

Requesting an Interpreter/Transcriptionist

It is critical that D/HoH students notify Accessibility and Accommodations of their communication needs and preferences as early as possible to ensure appropriate accommodations. Requests for interpreter services must be submitted as soon as classes are scheduled. Accessibility and Accommodations will require a copy of the student's schedule to enlist interpreters. Accessibility and Accommodations will review the request and make a determination regarding the requested accommodation. The goal of Accessibility and Accommodations is to provide qualified interpreters and allow students access to programs. Consideration will be given for student preferences. However, due to scheduling conflicts or other matters the preferences may not be honored. Interpreters should be impartial and services should not be provided by a family member or friend.

Accessibility and Accommodations will arrange interpreting services for a variety of Samford activities outside of class. Students should request interpreters immediately upon determining a need for an interpreter and no later than at least 48 hours in advance of the event to ensure appropriate interpreter services. Note: This does not apply for emergency situations.

Students should inform Accessibility and Accommodations immediately when any changes are made in the class schedule (adding or dropping a class, room change, day/time change). This will allow us to coordinate interpreters appropriately.

Students that experience problems with interpreting services should attempt to address their concerns with the interpreter and/or professor. If no resolution can be reached, the student should contact the Accessibility and Accommodations office as soon as possible.

Note Taker

I understand that I am still required, if possible, to attempt to take notes in class and may use the note taker’s copies as confirmation for accuracy and completion. I recognize that any notes acquired through the designated note taker should not be distributed, shared, or sold under any circumstances. Failure to abide by this policy may result in academic misconduct.

Personal Attendant

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Samford University recognizes that Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) may be necessary to address the personal needs of a student with a disability in order for that student to fully participate at the University. Students who require personal care attendant services who wish to have the same independent experience as all other college students are encouraged to hire an impartial PCA, who is not a family member or close friend. Students who require such services must contact and register with Samford University’s Accessibility and Accommodations. Samford is committed to reviewing all requests for reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis.

The University does not provide personal care assistants to assist with eating, toileting, or dressing, nor does it assume coordination or financial responsibilities for personal attendant services. An otherwise qualified student with a disability who requires personal attendant services is responsible for making arrangements to provide for his/her own personal care attendant service.


Student with a Disability: A student with a disability is identified as an individual who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, as specified according to the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (2008).

Personal Care Attendant (PCA): A personal care attendant is a person hired by a student with a disability to perform activities of daily living duties in Samford University sponsored residence halls, classrooms, programs, and activities.

How do I register for accessible or handicap parking?

Accessible parking areas are available to students who are certified for disability parking by display of their state issue hang-tag or tag. Contact Transportation Services at 205-726-2762 for further information. For temporary mobility impairments please contact Accessibility and Accommodations at 205-726-4078 about receiving a Limited Mobility Parking Permit.

How do I request a Foreign Language Substitution?

Some of the schools at Samford University have a foreign language requirement. It is our experience that students with disabilities who come to Samford often have developed strategies to compensate for their difficulties with specific learning and/or content areas. Many of these students meet the foreign language requirement. Students who have a documented disability that significantly impacts their ability to fulfill the foreign language requirement can petition for a substitution. The following procedures should be followed:

  1. Contact Accessibility and Accommodations for academic adjustments in foreign language study.
  2. Provide current documentation of a disability to substantiate the need for a course substitution. No course substitutions are granted without appropriate documentation.
  3. Accessibility and Accommodations determines if the student is eligible for foreign language substitution. Eligible students are provided a Foreign Language Substitution (FLS) contract signed by the director of Accessibility and Accommodations.
  4. Students who are determined eligible must meet with their advisor to plan their course of action. Students select substitute courses and/or activities from the approved substitution courses listed on the FLS contract. A substitution course/activity may not be used to fulfill another requirement.
  5. After full completion of the substitution courses/projects the student's academic advisor and the chair of World Languages and Cultures must sign the Foreign Language Substitution contract.
  6. As a final step the student must return the completed for to Accessibility and Accommodations. Students may request a copy of the signed document for their records.


How do I request housing accommodations? How do I request a meal plan exemption or reduction?

Living and dining on campus are an integral component of the Samford University undergraduate experience. Through the Office of Residence Life, the student application for housing states that students who live in campus housing must also purchase a meal plan. Students with disabilities may require residential and/or meal plan accommodations in order to fully participate in campus life. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis and are to allow for equal access to university programs and services.

Housing Accommodations

The Residence Life office provides a variety of housing options. The majority of rooms in the residence halls are double occupancy and a few are equipped to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Students requiring single room occupancy may request a private room. Students with disabilities should request housing needs as soon as they are admitted to the university.

Students requesting housing accommodations for the fall semester must have completed all processes through Accessibility and Accommodations by June 1. Students submitting information after the deadline will receive housing accommodations only if space becomes available.

Housing Accommodations Policy

Meal Plan Exemption or Reduction

Dietary preferences not relating to the corresponding disability should be addressed with Dining Services.

Decisions regarding reasonable accommodations in meal plans are made by committee. The meal plan committee meets once per month.

Meal Plan Accommodation Policy


Are personal services provided?

Services that are provided to all students of the university will be made available and accessible to students with disabilities.  Common examples of services that may not be available to all students and therefore may not be provided by Accessibility and Accommodations include tutoring, transportation, and personal attendant care.

What if I have a service or assistance animal?

In accordance with the revised Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations (2011), service animals are permitted in university facilities for persons with documented disabilities. The ADA defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability (including physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability). The work or tasks must be directly related to the handler’s disability. Examples include, but are not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals with impaired hearing to intruders or sounds, or pulling a wheelchair. Service animals that meet the ADA definition are permitted to accompany an individual with a disability to class, services, activities, programs, field trips, or residences. However, service animals must be under the handler’s control at all times, be housebroken, in good health, and current with all appropriate vaccinations. In addition, service animals may wear a harness, identification tag, or other gear that readily identifies its working status. The service animal may be licensed from an approved training program or have a current license and tags from local authorities. Handlers are held responsible for any property damage. The handler is also responsible for clean-up of animal waste.

Any service animal may be removed from campus either temporarily or permanently if it becomes disruptive, unruly, or in ill health. For example, a service animal that displays aggressive behavior towards people may be excluded. Service animals whose sole function is “the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship” are not considered service animals under the ADA. Questions related to the student use of service animals on campus should be directed to the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations, 205-726-4078. Questions related to the visitor or employee use of service animals on campus should be directed to Human Resources, 205-726-2809.

Service and Emotional Support Animal Policy

Is there a student group for students with disabilities?

DREAM is a student-run disability advocacy organization created to provide a stronger voice for the disability community at Samford. DREAM is open to all currently enrolled Samford students who are interested in disability-related concerns. This group seeks to raise awareness for local and international disability concerns, to minimize accessibility barriers on Samford’s campus, and to engage the disability community at Samford with disability advocacy organizations in the greater Birmingham area.

What about confidentiality? Who has access to my information?

Students that wish to see their file should make a request to DR.

An appropriate Accessibility and Accommodations staff member will review the student's file with him/her. Any questions regarding disability documentation will be answered to the best of the staff member's ability. Students are encouraged to contact the author of their disability documentation to discuss questions, comments, or concerns.

Release of Information

Accessibility and Accommodations operates under (FERPA) Federal Family Education Right to Privacy Act. Students are not required to sign a release of information to access reasonable accommodation requests. Students may receive a copy of their records when transferring to another institution. Students requesting a copy of their records from Accessibility and Accommodations are responsible for forwarding the information.