Thomas W. Woolley
Senior Associate Provost, Professor of Quantitative Analysis
Dr. Woolley received his Ph. D. (1981) in Statistics and Research Design, M.S. (1977) in Biological Science/Education and B.S. (1976) in the Biological Sciences, all from the Florida State University. Prior to accepting the position of Professor of Statistics in the Brock School of Business, he was Vice Chair of the Department of Biostatistics and Biomathematics and Head of Public Health Biostatistics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center.
In 1992, Dr. Woolley received the UAB President’s Excellence in Teaching Award and in 2001 he received Samford University’s Buchanan Award for Excellence in Classroom Teaching. In 2000, he was named the Carnegie Foundation/CASE Alabama Professor of the Year. In January of 2003 Dr. Woolley was named a Templeton Scholar and was among 30 international scholars who he participated in the Templeton Oxford Seminars in Science and Christianity at the University of Oxford (2003 through2005). He is also co-founder and Senior Fellow in the Samford University Center for Science and Religion. Having published or presented before scientific conferences nearly 200 works, his current research interests include indeterminacy in business, experimental design, applied Bayesian analysis,outlier methodology, theology of chance, and contingency in the theology of Saint Thomas Aquinas. Dr. Woolley is married to Mary Lyn; together they have two grown children, Drew and McKenzie.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D Statistics and Research Design
- M.S. Biological Science/Education
- B.S. Biological Sciences
- Statistics and its Applications; Research Design, Analysis, and Interpretation (Business and Medical Applications); Science and Religion; Chance and Christianity; Statistical Education/Literacy; Thomas Aquinas and the Role of Contingency; Bayesian Analysis and Outlier Methodology
Awards and Honors
- 2003-2005 Templeton Scholar
- 2001 Samford University's Buchanan Award
- 2000 Carnegie Foundation/CASE Alabama Professor of the Year
- 1992 UAB President's Excellence in Teaching Award