We deeply regret your semester on campus was cut short, but I am grateful for your patience as we have worked through many difficult decisions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. In my email to the Samford community dated March 27, I affirmed that Samford is fully committed to offering prorated refunds or credits for certain charges to all eligible students and that detailed information would be forthcoming soon.
I am pleased to share with you that Samford will provide a pro-rata credit of 47.75% to eligible student accounts for housing, parking permits and meal plans (see exception below for additional Dining Dollars and Bulldog Bucks). Credits will be processed and applied as follows:
- Credits will begin appearing on student accounts the week of April 20 and most will be completed by April 24.
- Students who currently have an amount owed to Samford will have the credit applied to that balance first, thus reducing the amount owed for Spring 2020.
- Graduating students who have a credit balance created by this action will receive a cash refund. Refunds will be processed by April 30.
- According to federal aid guidelines, students who have a federal aid refund created by this action will receive a cash refund. Refunds will be processed by April 30.
- All other students will have their credit applied to charges incurred in their next term (Summer or Fall 2020). If a student determines that he or she needs access to their credit balance now, students may apply for their credit to be issued in the form of a refund using this link. All requests should be made by April 26 to ensure timely processing.
- Refunds will be processed by April 30. In order to expedite the refund process, students should sign up for direct deposit by going to the financial portal. Once there, log in with your Samford ID and password and then click on the “Refunds” tab at the top of the portal homepage. Please complete this process by April 26.
- The full actual unused portion of additional funds applied to additional Dining Dollars and Bulldog Bucks will be refunded for graduating students or rolled forward for all other students. Refunds will be processed by April 30.
- If you have questions, please email them to OneStop@samford.edu.
While these credits and refunds have a major impact on the university’s budget, we know it is the right thing to do for our students and families. The actual cost to Samford of the refunds paid directly to students is $5.86 million. A number of families have graciously expressed interest in contributing some or all of their credit/refund to help Samford students in need. These needs may range from counseling resources and spiritual support to groceries or tuition assistance because of income and job loss. If you would like to gift your credit or refund to the University in the form of a tax-deductible donation, please complete this form by April 26. We offer this opportunity with humility and gratitude; your support will provide immediate assistance to Samford students.
Given the complexity of details and variety of student situations, we have prepared answers to a list of Frequently Asked Questions. They are listed below and can also be found as part of our broader COVID-19 FAQ on the Samford website.
Again, thank you for your patience and understanding during this extraordinary time. If you have financial questions not addressed below or on our coronavirus website, please send them to OneStop@samford.edu.
Take care… Buck