It may be hard to believe that you are about to graduate, but your time at Samford is not over. As one chapter of your Samford story comes to a close, another one is just beginning.
Before you walk the stage in May, we challenge you to make your first gift to Samford University. Making a gift is a great way to give back to the people and places that have shaped you over the past four years.
Join the Class of 2017 in this year’s Senior Giving Campaign as together we strive to reach a 35 percent class participation goal. To reach this goal, we need 209 members of the Class of 2017 to participate.
Why It Matters
As a senior and future alum, your gift to Samford University makes a bigger impact than you may think.
Your gift can go toward a specific scholarship or fund.
You are able to designate your gift to a scholarship or area of campus life that is special to you. Whether you are passionate about helping a future student attend Samford or want to say thank you to a professor by making a gift to his or her department, you can guarantee your gift is making a difference in the areas you care about most.
Samford’s alumni participation percentage affects institutional rankings.
Here at Samford, we define alumni participation in a variety of ways: someone who attends Homecoming, speaks with current students or connects with alumni in the city where they live. But for outside institutions, alumni participation is defined as the amount of alumni who give back to their alma mater through financial means.
For example, the percentage of alumni who give back to Samford directly affects our U.S. News & World Report ranking. Five percent of Samford’s overall ranking is directly tied to the percentage of alumni giving.
So, whether you give $5 or $500, your participation is a major gift all in itself.
Small gifts can add up!
Plain and simple, gifts add up. If every member of the Class of 2017 made a gift of $25, we would raise almost $15,000. Know that even the smallest gift can help bridge the gap for Samford and the students that will come after you.
Make a Gift
Why do you want to give back to Samford? The answer is different for each of us, but most likely, you want to give back to a person or organization that contributed to your college experience. You can give back to that particular area by designating your gift to one of the funds below.
Say Thank You
A great way to say thank you to a Samford faculty or staff member who has made an impact on your life is to give to a scholarship or fund in their honor. When you give in honor of a professor or staff member, we will notify them of your donation and recognize them with a sign outside their office door.
- A Cappella Choir Fund
- Friends of Athletic Bands Fund
- Friends of Interior Architecture Fund
- Friends of Music Fund
- Friends of Samford Arts Fund
- Friends of Theatre and Dance Fund
- Friends of Visual Art Fund
- Graphic Design Fund
- Music and Worship Gift Fund
- Samford Opera Fund
- School of the Arts Fund
Arts & Sciences
- Biology Department Fund
- Chemistry Department Fund
- Classics Fund
- Communication Studies Departmental Fund
- Computer Science Equipment Fund
- English Department Fund
- Geography Gift Fund
- History Department Fund
- Howard College of Arts & Sciences Fund
- JMC Annual Alumni Scholarship
- Mathematics Department Fund
- Philosophy Department Fund
- Physics Department Fund
- Political Science Department Fund
- Pre-Law Gift Fund
- Psychology Department Fund
- Religion Department Fund
- Sociology Department Fund
- World Languages and Cultures Department Fund
- Accounting Program Excellence Fund
- Brock School of Business Excellence Fund
- Economics, Finance & Quantitative Analysis Excellence Fund
- Entrepreneurship Management & Marketing Excellence Fund
- Sports Marketing Excellence Fund
- Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders Fund
- Department of Kinesiology Gift Fund
- Department of Nutrition and Dietetics Fund
- Department of Public Health Fund
- Exercise Science & Sports Medicine Department
- Ida V. Moffett Nursing Scholarship
- Jim Angel Kinesiology Scholarship
- MSOP Excellence Fund
- Nursing Student Emergency Fund
- Pharmacy Student Activities
- Pharmacy Student Relief Fund
- Bulldog Club Baseball Fund
- Bulldog Club Cheerleading
- Bulldog Club Football
- Bulldog Club Men's Basketball Fund
- Bulldog Club Men's Golf Fund
- Bulldog Club Men's Tennis Fund
- Bulldog Club Soccer
- Bulldog Club Softball Fund
- Bulldog Club Track & Field
- Bulldog Club Volleyball Fund
- Bulldog Club Women's Basketball Fund
- Bulldog Club Women's Golf Fund
- Bulldog Club Women's Tennis Fund
- Samford Bulldog Dancers Fund
- Global Scholarship Fund for Missionary Kids
- Spiritual Life General Fund
- Spiritual Life Missions Fund
- Aerospace Booster Club Fund (ROTC)
- Alpha Delta Pi Kappa Chapter Annual Scholarship
- Alpha Omicron Pi Ruby A Annual Scholarship
- Ambassador Fund
- Chi Omega Zeta Zeta Legacy Annual Scholarship
- Debate Program Fund
- Greek Life Leadership and Development Fund
- Lambda Chi Alpha Legacy Scholarship
- Miss Samford Scholarship Fund
- ODK Leadership Fund
- Zeta Seek the Noblest Scholarship
- SGA Leadership Scholarship
- Sigma Chi Renovation Fund
- Step Sing Annual Scholarship
- Entre Nous Gift Fund
- International Residency Annual Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Radio Station WVSU Fund
- Samford Crimson Newspaper
- Samford General Fund
- Student Emergency Assistance Fund
- The Frances Marlin Mann Center for Ethics and Leadership
- University Fellows Excellence Fund
- University Fellows Program Emergency Student Assistance Fund
Reap the Benefit
Help the Class of 2017 reach its goal! The national average for senior class gift participation is 30 percent. We think Samford is more than just average, so the Class of 2017 has accepted the challenge of reaching 35 percent participation in this year’s Senior Giving Campaign. Reaching this goal and giving to the campaign will not go unrewarded!
As a token of our appreciation, every individual who gives as a part of the Senior Giving Campaign will receive an exclusive camp-style ceramic coffee mug featuring Dr. Westmoreland’s words of wisdom, “We sit in the shade of trees we did not plant.” You will be able to pick up your mug beginning May 1 at the Last Lecture. Mugs will also be available at Pops with President on May 2, and the Graduate Prayer Breakfast on May 12.
Save the Date for the Senior Class Reception
Pops with the President, Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
At the home of President and Dr. Westmoreland
Social Media Resources
Help spread the word about this year’s Senior Giving Campaign. Here you will find graphics that you can download and share with your friends via email or social media.
Have an marketing idea that you want implement? Email Kim Cripps, the staff lead on the senior campaign and member of of the Alumni Programs and Annual Giving team.
Why is donating to Samford University important?
Samford University is a non-profit organization, and tuition only covers a portion of the university’s total operating costs. Samford relies on support from alumni and friends to operate day-in and day-out. And it’s not just Samford, hundreds of Samford students rely each year on scholarships. By giving to a scholarship, you are continuing to provide the Samford experience to the next generation of college students.
How do I designate my gift?
To make a gift, visit samford.edu/giving/seniors. There you will find a list of Samford funds and scholarships. When you select one on the website, you will be directed to a giving page where the fund you selected has been pre-populated.
How much of my money goes toward the fund that I designate?
When you designate your gift to a specific fund or scholarship, 100 percent of your donation goes directly to that fund. If you do not designate your gift, your donation will go towards the Samford Fund, which provides financial support to overhead costs and to areas of campus with the most need.
What if I don’t see a fund for my specific student group?
Samford does not have a fund or scholarship for every student group or organization on campus, so you many not find one for your specific group. (Though the Office of Alumni Programs and Annual Giving would be happy to talk to you about starting one.) If this is the case, we encourage you to look at a fund that represents a broader area of campus, like the Step Sing Annual Scholarship, Spiritual Life General Fund or the Greek Life Leadership and Development Fund.
What if I can only give $10?
Thank you! No matter the size of your donation, please know that your participation is a major gift. Plus, small gifts add up.
What standards have previous senior classes set?
Last year, the senior class reached 29 percent participation with 120 gifts. The national average for senior class gift participation is 30 percent, though we all know this group of seniors is better than average. When you make a gift, you help your class reach its 35 percent participation goal.
How can I earn the incentives?
By making a gift to Samford, you will receive an exclusive camp-style ceramic coffee mug. No strings attached. A gift equals a mug.
Who is in charge of the Senior Giving Campaign?
The Senior Giving Campaign is led by current seniors with the assistance of Samford’s Office of Alumni Programs and Annual Giving. The student leadership team helped compose the campaign’s overall theme and giving incentives, and the overall student committee will lead the campaign’s peer-to-peer fundraising efforts.
Who can I talk to about more other questions?
We encourage you to reach out to the student leadership team or Kim Cripps, Samford’s staff lead on the senior campaign and member of the Alumni Programs and Annual Giving team.
You keep talking about Samford’s alumni participation percentage. What is that?
Samford alumni participation percentage is the number of alumni who donate to Samford University during a fiscal year. For example, during the 2015-16 fiscal year, our alumni participation percentage was 9.55 percent. This number is then factored into a number of important things like national rankings and faculty grant applications. When Samford’s alumni participation percentage increases, so does the value of your Samford degree.
I’m still not convinced. Why should I give?
You should make your first gift to Samford because in the years to come, your gift as an alum will make a big impact. Not only will it affect our alumni participation percentage, but it will also directly support the people and places that shaped your college experience. Just because you graduate does not mean your time as a Samford Bulldog is over. We hope you will continue to be an active member of the Samford family, which includes giving back.
Remember, your Samford story is just beginning.