Michael Black was drawn to Samford University for its unique blend of academic excellence and Christ-centered focus. A native of Starkville, Mississippi, he begins his 19th year of professional higher education service. Previous institutions served include Texas A&M University, Mississippi State University and East Mississippi Community College-Golden Triangle Campus. "Serving students, their families and opening the doors of higher education is God's calling for my life. I have never been to 'work' a day in my life because students are my passion. Samford University is a special place with exceptional students," Black said.
He enjoys traveling and keeping up with his beloved Mississippi State University baseball team. Black has also served as a deacon at First Baptist-Bryan in Texas and First Baptist-Starkville in Mississippi.
Degrees and Certificates
- Master of Science, higher education administration, Bay Path University
- Bachelor of Science, interdisciplinary studies, Mississippi State University
- Ruffalo-Noel Levitz Enrollment Management Certification, Ruffalo-Noel Levitz
- National Education Policy Fellowship, Institute for Educational Leadership
- Honoring Excellence Award, Texas A&M University, 2020
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA), member
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), member
Enrollment management, academic advising, recruitment, retention and persistence, first-year experience, student organization advisement, strategic communication, public relations