Step Sing 2017
Step Sing began as a sing-along on the steps of Renfroe Hall at the Howard College East Lake Campus in 1951. It was held once a semester and soon became a competition. In 1957, Howard college moved to its present location on Lakeshore Drive, bringing with it the tradition of Step Sing. In 1976, Step Sing moved to its current home in Wright Center Concert Hall.
Under the direction of the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of Student Activities and Events, Step Sing is organized by students, including musical arrangement, choreography and costume design. Step Sing has become an educational activity in which students participate through leadership development, organizational administration and time management. Students perform three days to sold-out audiences. It continues to be one of Samford's most popular traditions and is a popular event not only among students, but also prospective students, employees, alumni and the Birmingham community.
- Thursday, February 9th at 7:00PM
- Friday, February 10th at 7:00PM
- Saturday, February 11th at 2:00PM *Matinee Show!
- Saturday, February 11th at 7:00PM
Shauna’s HouseThe 2017 Step Sing Philanthropy is Shauna’s House through Lifesong for Orphans.
Many children that live in orphanages in Ukraine have no hope of ever being adopted. To connect with these children, Lifesong has built a partnership within the Ukrainian orphanages improving the living conditions and helping provide for the children’s basic needs.
In memory of Shauna Yelton, Shauna’s House will be one of 5 transition homes for Ukrainian orphanage graduates through Lifesong for Orphans.
Shauna’s House will:
- Be a Christian home with house parents who disciple and mentor graduates.
- Support graduates as they transition successfully into adult life, providing support and accountability.
- Provide weekly Bible studies, counseling, job and life skills, employment opportunities, and transportation to church.
Lifesong for Orphans seeks to mobilize the Church, His body, where each member can provide a unique and special service: some to adopt, some to care, some to give; all in order to bring joy and purpose to orphans. Shauna’s House will further this mission for the orphans of Ukraine.