Samford University provides work opportunities for students through the two following programs: The Federal Work Study program (FWS) is need-based, as determined by the FAFSA, and the Institutional Student Employment Program (ISEP) which is not need-based.

Find a Job

There are two types of student employment opportunities: Federal Work Study (FWS) and Samford’s Institutional Student Employment Program (ISEP). Students may contact employers about on-campus jobs directly.

International students should contact the Global Engagement Office at or 205-726-2741 regarding federal regulations for on-campus employment. If they are given authorization to work on campus, they should send an email to with the name of the supervisor and/or department where they’ve been hired before completing any paperwork.

Federal Work Study

Students must work with the One Stop to determine if they qualify for the FWS program. Learn more about FWS.

Institutional Student Employment Program

If you do not qualify for the Federal Work Study program, you may still be able to find on-campus employment through Samford’s Institutional Student Employment Program.

Search Federal Work Study Positions Search Institutional Employment Positions

I’ve Found A Job, What’s Next?

What forms and documents will I need and what do I do with them?

  • When you are hired for a job, your supervisor should provide you with an email link for HireTouch which will allow you to complete student employment forms.
  • As you complete these forms, note that electing direct deposit allows faster access to your pay, please be prepared to upload an acceptable form of verification in HireTouch such as:
    • copy of a voided check
    • letter of authorization for direct deposit from your bank
    • online banking screen shot showing the routing and account information
  • Once these forms have been completed, you will receive a welcome email explaining how to make an appointment in Bookings to complete the final step of the employment process.
  • During this in-person appointment, you will be required to present certain documents to complete the federally required I-9 (List of Acceptable Documents). PLEASE NOTE: These must be original, unexpired documents. No scans, copies or faxes can be used. Examples of commonly used documents for the I-9 include:
    • Unexpired U.S. Passport OR
    • Unexpired Driver’s License AND original U.S. Social Security Card OR
    • Unexpired Driver’s License AND original/certified Birth Certificate

I-9 Employee Information Sheet

When can I start working?

  • Once you have completed the onboarding requirements by presenting your I-9 documents in Human Resources, you will receive work authorization within 1-2 business days.
  • You will find your work authorization in the Student Portal under the Student Employment section. Your supervisor will need to see your work authorization and may ask you to send them a screenshot of it for their records.
  • You may begin working when you receive your work authorization.

Federal Work Study Information

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a form of federal aid which allows undergraduate and graduate students to work through student employment and earn money to help pay for education expenses. Financial need and eligibility for FWS is determined through completion of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Students must work with the One Stop to determine whether or not they qualify for the FWS program.

Student employees earning FWS funds will be paid hourly and through Samford student payroll on a biweekly basis. Information regarding a FWS award, earnings, and remaining balance can be found on the SU Portal.

Federal Work Study (On-Campus)

Students may contact employers about on-campus jobs directly or search a list of available on campus positions with job description, job requirements and contact information. Most jobs for the fall semester will be listed by August.

Federal Work Study (Off-Campus)

Students who are eligible for FWS also have the option of finding employment through the FWS Community Work Service Program. This program allows students to work for a local nonprofit organization or public agency, or as a reading/math tutor for local elementary schools through the America Reads and America Counts Programs while utilizing their FWS award. Possible opportunities may be viewed on the Agency List. Students interested in working through this program should contact the One Stop at, 205-726-2905.

Student Employment Resources