Lance joined the Reference and Research Services department in 2014. He focuses on liaison work with an emphasis on library instruction and student consultations that utilize a student-centered approach. In his previous career as a social worker, Lance learned the value of determining the individual needs of others as a key component of supporting them. Lance is inspired by students and the work they do at Samford and uses that inspiration to motivate him to serve students. Lance enjoys taking walks on campus and travel (especially with his children).
Degrees and Certifications
- BSW, University of Montevallo
- MSW, University of Georgia
- MLIS, University of Alabama
School of Health Professions
- Communication Sciences & Disorders
- Physical Therapy
School of Public Health
- Public Health
- Social Work
- Cooper, S., & Day, L. (2023). Shared user engagement duties among reference and research services department members: A case study on the development of outreach initiatives. Alabama Libraries 60(2), 1-21.
- Day, L., & Flynn, K. (2022). Educating communication sciences and disorders students to use evidence-based literature: A collaboration between a library liaison and a CSD professor. College & Undergraduate Libraries, 29(3-4), 153-173.
- Day, L., & Szurek, J. (2018). Beyond the MLS: Reflections on the role of professional and continued education for academic library liaisons. College & Undergraduate Libraries, 25(2), 131-149.
- Day, L., Waddell, C.T., Daugherty, J.C., & Young, L.M. (2016). Not just for students: Non-instructional applications of LibGuides. In R. Sittler and A. W. Dobbs (Eds.) Innovative LibGuides Applications: Real World Examples. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.
- Day, L., Flynn, K. (2023, September). Teaching CSD students EBP access and utilization skills. Poster presented at Joint South Central Chapter/Southern Chapter Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Jackson, K., Szynkiewicz, S., Beall, J., Day, L. (2022, November). Positive therapeutic effects of medication on swallowing function: A systematic review following PRISMA 2020 guidelines, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Day, L. (2020, April). Addressing Pseudoscience and Fringe Theory with Library Instruction, Alabama Library Association Annual Convention, Birmingham, AL, (Conference cancelled).
- Day, L., DeVries, A. (2018, September). Leveling up with the QEP: Librarians leveraging the ACRL Framework to enhance assignments. Paper presented at Georgia International Conference on Information Literacy, Savannah, GA.
- Cooper, S., Day, L., DeVries, A., Steward, J., Young, L. (2018, August). Framing the curriculum: Bringing information literacy concepts to life in the disciplines. Presented at The Samford mini conference on teaching and learning, Samford University.
- Day, L., Szurek, J. (2018, April). Beyond the MLS: Reflections on the Role of Professional and Continued Education for Academic Library Liaisons. Paper presented at The Alabama Library Association Annual Convention, Florence, AL.
- Young, L., Day, L., Northrup, L. (2018, March). Integrating Information Literacy into Health Sciences Education. Paper presented at the Alabama Academy of Sciences at Alabama Academy of Science, Birmingham, AL.
- Young, L., Day, L., Northrup, L. (2016, October). Engaging during expansion: Samford University Library’s initiatives to support a growing College of Health Sciences. Poster presented Southern Chapter/Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Greenville, SC.
- Day, L., (2016, December). Contextualizing the Research Process. Paper presented at The Alabama Library Association Annual Convention, Gadsden, AL.
- Day, L., (2015, September). Reaching Them Where They Are: Information Literacy and the Distance Education Students. Poster presented at Georgia International Conference on Information Literacy, Savannah, GA.
- Hayes, J., Rollins, S., Day, L., (2015, April). Near, far, wherever you are: Academic library services for distance education students. Paper presented at The Alabama Library Association Annual Convention, Point Clear, AL.
Awards and Honors
- Frances Marlin Mann Community-Based Learning Fellowship, 2019-2020