Lori joined the University Library faculty in 2001, when she came to Samford from the Birmingham Public Library. While here, she has served the Samford community as a reference librarian and in collection management/acquisitions and interlibrary loan. In her current position she enjoys working with Samford schools and departments seeking accreditation; collaborating with the library’s leadership team to assess library resources and services to the campus; assisting faculty, staff, and students with copyright questions; and most especially, partnering with her liaison department faculty to confirm that programs, courses, and especially students have the research and information resources needed to succeed.
Her research interests include collection management in times of decreasing funding and increasing online availability; reference consultations as teaching opportunities; and leadership/management.
Degrees and Certifications
- B.A., Troy University
- MLIS, University of Alabama
- Copyright for Educators & Librarians by Duke University, Emory University & The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Howard College of Arts and Sciences
- World Languages & Cultures
McWhorter School of Pharmacy
- All progams
School of Public Health
- Healthcare Administration & Informatics
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Schrimsher, R., S. Alverson, and L. Northrup. “A Survey of Samford University Students Regarding Plagiarism and Academic Misconduct,” International Journal for Educational Integrity 7, no. 1 (2011).
- Northrup, Lori. “MeeboMe! For Embedded Chat Reference: Patron-initiated Encounters without Downloads or Accounts,” College and Undergraduate Libraries 15, no. 3 (2008): 357-363.
- Northrup, Lori, and Beth Ashmore. "Creating Easy to Update Subject Guides without Using a Database." College and Undergraduate Libraries 13, no. 1 (2006): 53-57.
- Northrup, Lori, Ed Cherry, and Della Darby. “Using Server-Side Include Commands for Subject Web Page Management: An Alternative to Database-Driven Technologies for the Smaller Academic Library.” Information Technology and Libraries 23, no. 4 (2004): 192-197.
- Darby, Della, Lori Northrup, Carla Waddell, and Heather Watters. 2003. "Cooperation in a Multi-Faceted Reference Department: Blending Resources, Personnel, and Services of Reference, Instruction, Interlibrary Loan, and Government Documents." The Reference Librarian 83/84 (2003): 119-130.
- Laughlin, Greg, Lori Northrup, and Lauren Young. “Library Continuity Resources,” a Faculty Success Collaborative Lunch and Learn webinar, Samford University, May 14, 2020.
- Laughlin, Greg, and Lori Northrup. “Copyright and Fair Use,” a Faculty Success Collaborative Lunch and Learn presentation, Samford University, October 16, 2019.
- Cecil, Cheryl S., Lori Northrup, Jaro Szurek, and Carla Waddell. “Deselection: Motivation, Process, and Reflection.” Alabama Library Association Annual Convention, Point Clear, AL. April 4, 2019.
- Young, Lauren, Lori Northrup, and Lance Day. “Engaging during Expansion: Samford University Library’s Initiatives to Support a Growing College of Health Sciences,” poster session, Southern Chapter/Medical Library Association 2016 Annual Meeting, Greenville, SC, October 5, 2016.
- Gilbreath, James, Lori Northrup, Theresa Davis, Amanda Melcher, Amanda L. Scott, Timothy P. Bailey. “eBooks at a Crossroads – Collection Development & Cataloging,” Collection Development and Management Roundtable and Technical Services and Systems Roundtable panel presentation, Alabama Library Association Annual Conference, Huntsville, AL, April 24, 2014.
- Cecil, Cheryl, Kim Herndon, Lori Northrup, and Jennifer Taylor. “Are Those Pickles I Smell or Is It Vinegar Syndrome?” poster session, Alabama Library Association Annual Conference, Huntsville, AL, April 24, 2014.
- Best, Rickey, Tim Dodge, Eric A. Kidwell, and Lori Northrup. “Library Advocacy: Personal Reflections from the Academy,” AACRL Government Relations Committee panel presentation, Alabama Library Association Annual Conference, Montgomery, AL, April 25, 2013.
- Alabama Association of College and Research Libraries
- Alabama Library Association
- American Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Southeastern Library Association