Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting
Section 18004(e) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act” or the “Act”)), Pub. L. No. 116-136, 134 Stat. 281 (March 27, 2020), directs institutions receiving funds under Section 18004 of the Act to submit a report to the Secretary describing the use of funds distributed from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (“HEERF”). Section 18004(c) of the CARES Act requires institutions to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received from Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care).
- On April 15, 2020 the Samford University Office of Research submitted a signed Certification and Agreement form through the grants.gov website. By doing so, Samford provided its intent to participate in the CARES Act – HEERF process for awarding emergency funds to currently enrolled Samford students. On April 27, 2020, Samford received $1,190,677 as the first 50% portion of its funding. This funding will be used to make student emergency grants.
- Samford University has applied for and received $1,190,677 in CARES Act HEERF funding for students. These funds will be used to provide emergency grants to students.
- No emergency funding for students has been distributed. On May 8, 2020, the Samford Director of Student Financial Services issued an announcement to the student body alerting all students to the availability of an application for the Samford’s CARES Act Emergency Assistance Fund. Students had until May 18, 2020 to apply for funding. The process of reviewing applications and determining awards is ongoing.
- As of May 21, 2020, Samford University had approximately 3,400 FAFSA filers enrolled for the spring 2020 term.
- As of May 21, 2020, no students at Samford University have been awarded any CARES Act Emergency Assistance funding.
- An application was created for students to use in expressing their desire to receive emergency funding and to what extent their needs existed. As of May 21, those applications are under review and decisions concerning the distribution of awards will be forthcoming.