Tremendous work is currently underway to “Bring Back the Bulldogs” for the Fall semester. In order for us to successfully reopen campus for in-person instruction and residential life, every member of our community must work together. We’re counting on you and looking forward to seeing you in August. As you plan for the upcoming semester, here are some items of which you should be aware:
- August 24 will be the first day of classes for the Fall semester.
- In an effort to minimize travel and possible transmission of the virus, all on-campus instruction will end prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. Undergraduate students will complete the semester by Tuesday, November 24; graduate programs will have varying schedules. Graduate students will hear directly from their academic dean or program director regarding the end of the term for their respective programs.
- Labor Day and Fall Break will be regular class days for all students and employees in order to allow for an earlier conclusion of the Fall semester.
- Academic deans and faculty are working to maximize the number of in-person classroom experiences. Decisions about which classes will be offered in person, hybrid or online will be made based on the format of each class and our classroom capacity in light of public health requirements.
- Residence Life is working on a move-in plan for students in accordance with the CDC guidelines for social distancing. All residential students will be emailed detailed instructions by the end of July. Room assignments for new students will be emailed by this time as well.
- Face coverings and social distancing will be required in all public spaces, including classrooms, for employees and students. This does not include times when alone in an office or assigned residence hall room.
- Students and employees should not travel internationally within 14 days prior to their initial arrival to campus. Any student or employee traveling internationally will be required to quarantine for 14 days in the United States before coming to campus. This is consistent with CDC guidelines and means students and employees must be in the United States by August 10 in order to be present for the first day of classes.
- Samford continues to evaluate testing and contact tracing options and will share those details as they become available.
- Students will be required to complete a waiver before coming to campus for Fall 2020. The waiver and training will be sent to your Samford email address and must be completed before coming to campus.
- Employees will complete COVID-19 training before returning to campus for Fall 2020.
- Additional information will be provided for employees and students who are in any of the CDC-defined vulnerable populations.
- Once you return to campus, if you test positive for COVID-19, and/or come into direct contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you must immediately email COVID19health@samford.edu and self-isolate or quarantine for up to 14 days per university and CDC guidelines.
Many specific questions are answered on the new Bring Back the Bulldogs website. Please take time to review that information. If you have additional questions, please e-mail COVID19info@samford.edu. We’re doing our best to respond to all inquiries as quickly as possible.
We hope that sharing these updates will allow you to begin preparing for the Fall semester. It is important to note that all plans are subject to change as local, state and national health standards evolve. We will provide additional details in the weeks ahead.
We continue to be grateful for your patience and adaptability and look forward to seeing you soon.