Dear Samford Students and Parents….This month we complete a semester unlike any in Samford’s history. Amidst the global coronavirus pandemic, we came together and united around the shared goal of completing the fall semester on campus…and we succeeded. I am grateful for each of you, and appreciate the resilience you’ve shown and the sacrifices you’ve made. While it was not easy, we’re better for it.
Reflecting on the fall, university leadership is already engaged in planning for the spring semester and we’re looking forward to welcoming you back to campus in January.
As a reminder, a negative COVID-19 PCR test result is required of all employees and students prior to returning to campus for the first time this spring. This includes those returning for Jan Term or graduate classes on January 4; those who will return for the start of spring semester on January 25; or anyone first coming to campus later in the semester.
- Samford is providing these tests at no cost for those who will be on campus this spring. As previously communicated, test kits were distributed to all students attending fall classes in late November. For those not on campus this fall or if you were unable to pick up a kit, we will mail kits to you IF you request one by Tuesday, December 15 using this Test Kit Request Form. If you do not request your test kit or if you lose it, you will need to obtain and submit a PCR test result at your own cost within 7 days prior to your return to campus. Tests taken more than 7 days prior to your return will not fulfill your re-entry requirement.
- This short instructional video describes the pre-entry testing process. Be sure to register your test kit online and then follow the included step-by-step instructions for properly collecting and returning your sample. You must take your test within 7 days of returning to campus. A prepaid shipping label is included in your test kit. Your results will be available online 24-48 hours after the test sample arrives at the lab. Results are automatically reported to the appropriate state and local agencies and to Samford University.
- While we prefer that you use a Samford provided test kit, you may obtain a test result from your own health care provider at your cost. Again, only a PCR test taken within 7 days prior to your return fulfills your re-entry requirement; do not request a rapid-antigen test. Your results – positive or negative – must be uploaded and received by Samford prior to your return. You may upload them using this link: Upload Test Results.
- By way of example only, if you live off campus and are returning to campus for the first time on January 4, 2021, you should take and mail your PCR test the proceeding Monday, December 28 to account for the New Year’s holiday. As another example, if you are a residential student returning for spring semester classes starting on January 25 but returning to your residential hall on January 23, you should take and mail your test on either Friday, January 15 or Saturday, January 16.
- Your test result is only valid as of the day you take your test. Therefore, please remain aware and vigilant regarding contact with others from the time you take your test to the time you return to campus. If this interceding period includes New Year’s Eve, please be especially careful.
We are excited about the coming spring semester. More information about that will be provided in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the Advent season and your time home with family and friends. Merry Christmas! Take care… Buck Brock
Harry B. Brock III (Buck)
Executive Vice President