Samford University provides generous health, dental and vision insurance benefits for our full-time employees as well as optional life, accidental death and dismemberment and long term disability coverage. Please be sure to read through all insurance information to make the right choices for you and your family.
Health, Dental & Vision
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is our medical and dental provider. The plan is a PPO plan which allows participants to seek medical services from any doctor who participates in the BlueCard Preferred Provider Organization. Full time employees are eligible to participate in the plan upon hire. Benefits will be effective the first day of the month after hire.
We offer three tiers of coverage: individual, two-person, and family.
When you enroll in the plans, you must enroll in both or none. You cannot enroll in medical only or dental only. However, there will be separate deductions on your paycheck for medical and dental. Prescription coverage is included as a point-of-sale reimbursement plan. Routine vision coverage is included in the medical plan.
Eligible dependents for the plan include your spouse, your child up to age 26, and an incapacitated child who is not able to support himself and who depends on you for support, if the incapacity occurred before age 26.
The plan and deductible run from Jan. 1–Dec. 31.
When using an in-network doctor, primary physician office visit co-pay is $25. Specialist physician co-pay is $40. Annual calendar year deductible is $450/person or $1,350 maximum for family. Pre-certification is required for all hospital admissions except maternity. Emergency admissions require notification within 48 hours of admission. There is a $150 per day hospital co-pay for days one through five for each admission. In network outpatient hospital is subject to a $175 facility co-pay.
Coverage is limited to $1,000 per member each calendar year. There is a $25 calendar year deductible per member each calendar year (three per family). The deductible does not apply to diagnostic and preventative services. Orthodontic services are available for dependent children age 19 and under and are covered at 50% subject to the calendar year deductible and the $1,000 limit per member each calendar year. It is also limited is a lifetime max of $2,000 per member.
Routine vision coverage is included in the medical plan. Routine vision coverage is covered at 80% of the Allowed Amount, with no deductible. Coverage is limited to $200 per person each 24-month period.
VSP Vision Care (Optional)
The VSP Vision Care Plan is an optional vision plan available to all full time employees of Samford. You do not have to be a participant in the Samford BCBS plan to participate in the VSP Vision Care Plan. If you are enrolled in the Samford BCBS plan, the VSP benefits would be in addition to the vision benefits provided in the BCBS plan. Once enrolled, simply tell your eyecare provider that you have VSP. No ID card is necessary and no ID card will be issued.
Benefits (VSP Doctors)
- Well Vision Exam once every calendar year, subject to a $20 co-pay when using a VSP doctor.
- Prescription Glasses, subject to a $20 co-pay when using a VSP doctor.
- Lenses every calendar year (single vision, lined bifocal, lined trifocal, and polycarbonate lenses for dependent children)
- Frames every other calendar year ($150 allowance for a wide selection of frames, 20% off the amount over your allowance)
- Contacts (instead of glasses) every calendar year
- Up to a $60 co-pay for your contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation)
- $150 allowance for contacts
Extra Savings and Discounts
- 20–25% savings on non-covered lens options
- 20% off additional glasses and sunglasses, including lens options, from any VSP doctor within 12 months of your Well Vision Exam
- 15% off the contact lens exam
- Average 15% off the regular price or 5% off the promotional price of laser vision correction from contracted facilities
Benefits (Non-VSP Doctors)
- Exams covered up to $45
- Single Vision Lenses covered up to $30
- Lined Bifocal Lenses covered up to $50
- Lined Trifocal Lenses covered up to $100
- Frames covered up to $70
- Contacts covered up to $105
COBRA is the Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1985 (Public Law 99-272, Title X). If you are a covered employee, COBRA allows you to temporarily continue coverage under the plan beyond the point at which coverage would otherwise end. COBRA coverage may be offered to each person who is a qualified beneficiary. By law, COBRA benefits are required to be the same as those made available to similarly situated active employees. If the plan changes for active employees, coverage will also change for those covered under COBRA. COBRA premium will be paid by the participant as a rate equal to the full cost of the coverage plus a two-percent administrative fee. Your cost may change over time, as the cost of benefits under the plan changes.
COBRA Rights for Current Employees
- If you are a covered employee, you will become eligible for COBRA coverage if you lose coverage under the plan because either one of the following qualifying events occur:
- Your status changes from full-time to part-time
- Your employment ends for any reason other than your gross misconduct
- COBRA coverage will continue for up to a total of 18 months from the date of your termination or employment or reduction in hours, assuming you pay your premiums on time.
COBRA rights for a Covered Spouse and Dependent Children
- If you are covered under the plan as a spouse or a dependent child of a covered employee, your will become eligible for COBRA coverage if you lose coverage under the plan as a result of any of the following events:
- The covered employee dies
- The covered employee's hours of employment are reduced
- The covered employee's employment ends for any reason other than his or her gross misconduct
- Divorce of the covered employee and spouse
- For a dependent child: the dependent child loses dependent child status under the plan
- If you are a covered spouse or dependent child, the period of COBRA coverage will generally last up to a total of 18 months in the case of a termination of employment of reduction in hours.
- If you are a covered spouse or dependent child, the period of COBRA coverage will generally last up to a total of 36 months in the case of divorce, loss of dependent child status, or death of the employee.
Full time employees are eligible for Samford's group life insurance plan upon date of hire. The carrier is ReliaStar/ING and it is a term life policy. The amount of coverage is equal to two and one-half times your annual salary up to a maximum of $600,000. This coverage is paid by Samford. The life insurance benefit doubles in the event of accidental death. The life insurance amount reduces by 35% if you are still actively employed at age 65. Samford also offers $2,000 of life insurance coverage (University paid) for your dependents. Eligible dependents include your spouse and your children under the age of 18 or up to age 23 if a full time student. Beneficiaries are named when you enroll in the Plan during new hire orientation; however you may update your beneficiaries at any time by completing the Beneficiary Change Form and returning the completed form to Human Resources. Please return the original signed form, do not send a fax or scanned copy.
Optional Life Insurance
Full time employees can also purchase optional life and optional accidental death/dismemberment insurance. Optional employee life can be elected in any amount from $10,000 up to $500,000 in $10,000 increments. Spousal life insurance can be elected in any amount from $10,000 up to $500,000 also in $10,000 increments. Please note, you must enroll in at least $10,000 of optional employee life insurance to be eligible to enroll in the optional spousal life insurance. During your first 30 days of full time employment there is a Guaranteed Issue Amount of $100,000 for optional employee life and $50,000 for spousal life. Any amounts elected that exceed the Guaranteed Issue Amount are subject to Evidence of Insurability. You may enroll in the optional life insurance at any time during your first 30 days of full time employment. After this initial period, you may enroll during the annual enrollment period or if you experience a qualified change in family status. The premiums for the optional employee life and optional spousal life insurance are based on age brackets and the rates are per $10,000. These are monthly premiums.
|Age Bracket||Rate per $10,000|
Optional child life insurance is offered in $5,000 or $10,000 options. Please note that you must enroll in at least $10,000 of optional employee life insurance to be eligible to enroll in the optional child life insurance. Once enrolled, your child's coverage will continue up to age 18 or up to age 23 if a full time student. The premium for child life is $1.00 per month per $5000 of coverage regardless of the number of children insured. Beneficiaries are named when you enroll in the Plan; however you may update your beneficiaries at any time by completing the Beneficiary Change Form and returning the completed form to Human Resources. Please return the original signed form, do not send a fax or scanned copy. Click here for a copy of the Optional Life Insurance Summary Plan Description.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Optional AD&D insurance can by elected in multiples of $1,000.00 up to $500,000 of coverage. The cost for this insurance is 1.9 cents/$1000 for employee only coverage and three cents/$1000 for family coverage. Click here for a copy of the Optional AD&D Insurance Summary Plan Description.
Long Term Disability
If you are a full-time employee and you become sick or disabled, after a period of 90 days of continuous disability you will be eligible to receive a monthly benefit. The amount of your benefit will be sixty percent of your pre-disability earnings, reduced by other income benefits such as social security disability.
The carrier is Lincoln Financial. Premiums are paid by the University. All full time employees are eligible for this benefit upon day of hire. The maximum monthly benefit is $10,000. The minimum monthly benefit is $100.00.
Disabled or Disability means that due to sickness or as a direct result of accidental injury, you are:
- Receiving appropriate care and treatment and complying with the requirements of such treatment
- Unable to perform each of the material duties of your own occupation
- Unable to earn more than 80% of your pre-disability earnings at your own occupation from any employer in your local economy
If I become disabled will my payments be made bi-weekly or monthly?
The payments will be monthly payments.
Once I have been approved for disability, do I ever have to re-apply?
Lincoln Financial may periodically request that you send proof of your continued disability. Such proof may include physical exams, in-home interviews, or functional capacity exams as needed.
What happens to my benefit if I pass away?
Any benefit that was due and unpaid will be paid to your designated beneficiary. If there is no designated beneficiary, payment will be in the following order: your spouse if still alive, your unmarried child(ren) under age 25, your estate.
How do I apply for LTD?
Contact Human Resources.
Will I pay taxes on my monthly LTD benefit?
You will pay federal taxes only on your LTD benefit.
Samford University offers several options for insurance. Below are some of our most requested forms. If you need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
Health, Dental and Vision Forms
- BC/BS Medical Expense Claim Form
- BC/BS Dental Claim Form
- BC/BS Vision Claim Form
- BC/BS Prescription Claim Form
- BC/BS Online Drug Claim Instructions
Life Insurance Forms
- Optional Life Insurance Change of Beneficiary Form
- Group Life Portability Application Form
- Life Conversion Information Request Form
Flexible Spending Account Forms
- Health Equity Direct Deposit Form
- Health Equity Medical Reimbursement Form
- Health Equity Dependent Care Reimbursement Form
- Dependent Care Spending Election Form
- Medical Spending Election Form
- 2016 BC/BS Medical Spending Account Reimbursement Form
- 2016 BC/BS Dependent Care Spending Account Reimbursement Form
Long Term Disability Forms
- Long Term Disability Claim Form—Contact HR
Family Medical Leave (FMLA) Forms
- Family Medical Leave Application Forms—Contact HR