Posted by William Nunnelley on 2006-09-22
Samford's Board of Trustees named the university's new indoor tennis facility, authorized a bond issue of up to $55 million for campus construction and approved new faculty and advisory boards at its annual fall retreat Sept. 15.
The indoor tennis facility, to be completed this fall, will be known as the Pat M. Courington Tennis Pavilion in honor of 1946 Samford graduate Pat M. Courington, Sr., of Albertville, Ala. The facility houses three courts, offices, locker rooms and spectator seating and is part of Samford's new nine-court tennis center on the western perimeter of the campus.
Samford has almost $50 million in campus improvements either underway or nearing completion, and construction will begin on a $10 million parking deck this fall. The bond issue will pay for the majority of this construction, according to Samford Vice President for Business Affairs Joseph W. Mathews, Jr.
Projects either recently completed or currently underway are the new Jane Hollock Brock Recital Hall, Bonnie Bolding Swearingen Hall, Pete Hanna Arena, the tennis center, two new boiler plants and various campus heating, ventilation and air conditioning control systems. In addition to the planned parking deck, Samford also will construct a third new boiler plant to serve the new arena and replace defective piping in Davis Library, one of the oldest buildings on campus.
The board appointed two new faculty members effective Aug. 21. They are Andrew Robert Greene, visiting assistant professor of law in the Cumberland School of Law, and Dr. Kristie B. Chandler, instructor of family studies in the Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education and Professional Studies.
In addition, the board approved the membership of advisory boards for the law school, education and professional studies school, the School of Business and McWhorter School of Pharmacy.