After three days of sold-out performances, the winners of Samford University’s 2023 Step Sing competition were announced. Hundreds of students participated in the beloved event Jan. 26-28. Sorority Phi Mu received the coveted Sweepstakes Award with their performance called “9 to 5”, which celebrated the joys that come with being a grandmother.
Fraternity Alpha Tau Omega was named runner up with their performance called “Saved by the Bell,” and sorority Chi Omega was named second runner up with their performance called “For the Thrill of It.”
Step Sing began as a sing-along on the steps of Renfroe Hall at the Howard College East Lake Campus in 1951. It was held once a semester and soon became a competition. In 1957, Howard College moved to its present location on Lakeshore Drive, bringing with it the tradition of Step Sing.
Under the direction of the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and the Office of Student Activities and Events, Step Sing is organized by students, including musical arrangement, choreography and costume design. The beloved tradition has become an educational activity in which students participate through leadership development, organizational administration, and time management.
In celebration of the program’s 70th anniversary in 2020, the university established the Step Sing Endowed Scholarship. Recipients of the scholarship were announced on stage following the Saturday evening performance. All Step Sing participants with at least one undergraduate semester remaining are eligible to receive funds from the Step Sing Endowed Scholarship.
Below is the complete Step Sing awards list:
- Sweepstakes: Phi Mu, “9 to 5”
- First Runner Up: Alpha Tau Omega, “Saved By the Bell”
- Second Runner Up: Chi Omega, “For the Thrill of It”
- Excellence in Choreography: Sophomore Girls, “Caught Off Guard”
- Excellence in Creativity: Alpha Tau Omega, “Saved By the Bell”
- Excellence in Music: Phi Mu, “9 to 5”
Participant Choice Awards
(Voted on by Step Sing participants following the first dress rehearsal)
- Favorite Choreography: Sophomore Girls, “Caught Off Guard”
- Favorite Costume: Chi Omega, “For the Thrill of It”
- Favorite Emcees: Sigma Chi, “Stuck”
- Favorite Music: Dudes-A-Plenty, “The Crown Jewel”
Committee Choice Awards
(Voted on by Step Sing Committee, Office of Student Activities and Events, and Wright Center staff)
- Favorite Moment: Dudes-A-Plenty, “The Crown Jewel,” glow in the dark gloves
- Favorite Song: Ignite, “Outcast,” Beet Thou My Vision
- Directors of the year: Alpha Omicron Pi, “Served,” Sky Hull, Shelby Grace Justice, and Katelyn Smith
- Step Sing Character Award: Delta Delta Delta, “Scrub-A-Dub-Dub”
This is given to the group who raises the most money toward the Step Sing Endowed Scholarship.
- Alpha Omicron Pi, “Served”
For more information about Step Sing, go to this website.