Systemic Undertows, Below the Surface of Today's Racial Climate
Yesterday’s Ripples – Today’s Practices
A six-part series on racial and justice issues presented by Rev. Eva Melton and Rev. Joseph Scrivner on topics ranging from worship and justice, environmental racism, redlining, and more. Clergy and/or congregations may use these presentations for training, group studies, sermon topics, etc.
Presentation 1: Climate of Race in America
Presentation 2: Housing Discrimination
Presentation 3: Worship Injustice
Presentation 4: Dominate Narrative and Mass Incarceration
Presentation 5: Environmental Justice/Racism
Presentation 6: Politics and Race
Critical Conversations: Helping Churches Talk about Race
Critical Conversations is a three-part series of interviews with local Birmingham pastors on the topic of helping churches talk about race. Clergy and/or congregations may use these presentations for training, group studies, sermon topics, etc.
Rev. Michael Wilson interviews Rev. Chris Hamlin, pastor of Tabernacle Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama.
Rev. Michael Wilson interviews Rev. Cameron Thomas, pastor of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Cropwell, Alabama.
Additional Video Resources
The Challenge of Polarization - Seeking Healthier Families, Congregations and Communities
On March 10, 2020, Dr. Ronald Richardson led a seminar at Samford University for professional counselors, clergy, pastoral counselors, lay leaders and chaplains exploring the application of Bowen Family Systems Theory in dealing with divisive issues in the home, church and community.
Part 1: Morning Session
Part 2: Afternoon Session 1
Part 3: Afternoon Session 2
Thinking in Systems: Understanding the Weirdness Around Us
A longtime student of family systems theory and an ordained minister, Bart Grooms has led numbers workshops on systems thinking and its application to congregational leadership and pastoral ministry. Drawing from the work of Dr. Murray Bowen, this three-part audio series provides insights to help better understand our emotional and behavioral responses in times of anxiety.
Technology in Ministry
Jennifer Rash with The Alabama Baptist; The Digital Presence of the Church
Financial Stewardship Seminar
The CCR has developed a resource to help congregations think creatively about stewardship and finances. Dr. Gary Fenton, former pastor of Dawson Memorial Baptist Church in Birmingham, is the presenter of this video series. Dr. Fenton draws upon his long experience helping congregations conduct mission and ministry from a generosity mindset.
The next series consists of 5 individual videos that can be viewed independently or together as a learning opportunity.
Video 1 - Biblical Background
Video 2 – Creating an Environment; part 1
Video 3 – Creating an Environment; part 2
Video 4 – Church Budget
Video 5 – Special Fundraising/Campaigns
Audio Files from CCR Conferences and Workshops
The audio files are hosted on Vimeo.com. Click the link to listen to each audio file.
- Dr. Matt Cook, Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church of Wilmington, NC. "The Gospel of the Dying Church," March 2017
- Dr. Cameron Jorgenson, Associate Professor of Christian Theology & Ethics
Campbell University Divinity School. "Why Theology Matters" , March 2016.
- Dr. Loyd Allen, Professor, McAfee School of Theology. “Ways Christians Have Prayed Through the Centuries,” October 2014
- Rev. Dennis Bickers. “The Healthy Church,” Bivocational Leader Lab, August 2011
- Rev. Gary Burton, Pastor, Pintala Baptist Church, Pintala, Alabama. “The Baptist Doctrine of Separation of Church and State,” March 2014
- Dr. Wayne Flynt, Professor Emeritus of History at Auburn University. “What the Bible Says About the Poor,” April 2013
- Dr. Gary Furr, Pastor, Vestavia Hills Baptist Church, Vestavia Hills, Alabama. “The Ministry of Reconciliation,” February 2013
- Dr. Gary Furr, Pastor, Vestavia Hills Baptist Church “It Is Well With My Soul? Suffering and the Christian Life,” February 10, 2014.
- Rev. Chris George, Pastor, Smoke Rise Baptist Church, Stone Mountain, Georgia. “Can I Get a Witness? Reclaiming Testimony and Christian Storytelling in the Church,” October 2014
- Rev. Ray Gilder, National Coordinator, Bivocational and Smaller Church Leadership Network. “Balancing the Life of a Minister,” March 2014
- Dr. Fisher Humphreys, Professor Emeritus of Divinity at Samford University. “Forgiveness,” April 2013
- Dr. Fisher Humphreys, Professor Emeritus of Divinity at Samford University. “The Work of Christ—Interpretations of Atonement,” October 2014
- Eric Mathis, Professor, Samford University. “Christ’s Time for the Church: Worship and the Christian Year,” November 2014
- Dr. Tex Sample, Professor Emeritus of Church and Society, St. Paul School of Theology in Kansas City. “Doing Ministry in a Traditional Culture,” October 2012
- Dr. James Strange, Professor, Samford University. “How Archaeologists Help Us Read the Gospels,” September 2014
- Dr. Allen Walworth. “Hinge Moments,” April 2011