Photographic Services provides marketing photography for promotion of Samford University. The process for requesting photo shoots and photos from Photoshelter is outlined below.
April 9, 2021
This document is intended to provide guidance to all individuals who participate in photography and video sessions at Samford. To request a university photographer, complete the photo shoot request form.
- When possible, conduct photo/video sessions outdoors or in large spaces where maximum social distancing can be easily achieved.
Expectations of Photo/Video Participants
- All individuals involved in the photo/video shoot must maintain social distancing.
- See below for exceptions related to group photography.
- In accordance with Samford’s COVID-19 protocols, face masks must be worn by participants, including the photography and videography staff, throughout the session.
- Individuals involved in the photo/video may remove their face masks while on camera as long as they are social distanced from other individuals by at least 6 feet and all other individuals in the space are wearing masks.
- Exceptions can be made for capturing images/footage of family members.
- The photographer or videographer will sanitize all photography and video equipment and common areas before and after each photo/video session. This includes washing hands regularly before and after photo/video sessions and sanitizing all props, chairs, benches and other items individuals may come into contact with during a shoot.
- Photography and video services will not be provided for events that do not comply with university guidelines. Any images or footage that are captured—but determined later to not meet these guidelines—will be omitted from the final deliverables.
- Generally, group photography is discouraged and should be postponed until a later date when possible. Consider replacing group photos with photos of individuals.
- If group photos are necessary, groups must adhere to university policies for face coverings, maintaining social distancing prior and after the photo is taken.
- The number of individuals included in group photos remains limited to 50 people
- Group photos without masks are strictly prohibited.
Faculty and staff headshots will continue to be taken on the first Tuesday of each month from 10 to 10:30 a.m. in the Rose Garden, just adjacent to Harrison Theatre. There is no need to schedule an appointment in advance. In case of rain, the alternate location is on the front steps of the University Library.
Request a Photo from PhotoShelter
Samford images are organized in Photoshelter, an online database that includes campus scenes, university buildings, events and interesting classroom and laboratory environments. To request a high resolution image, please use the form below. Images are to be used for promotion of Samford and cannot be used for personal use. Due to copyright issues, you may not share these photos with students or other groups without consent from Samford’s Division of Marketing and Communication. Our standard turnaround time for providing high-resolution photos is 48 hours.
Request a Photo Shoot
Samford’s Division of Marketing and Communication partners with reputable freelance photographers to fulfill the marketing and event photography needs of campus. Because of this arrangement, you must submit a request form no less than 48 hours prior to the requested date.
If you are part of one of our ten academic schools, please contact your marketing and communication colleague within your school to request a photo shoot. If you are not within an academic school, please complete the Photo Shoot Request Form. Once the request is received by Creative Services, a response will be provided within 48 hours.
If we are unable to fulfill your request, we will provide a list of vetted freelancers that we recommend. We also have high resolution cameras that you may check out if you are interested in photographing the event yourself.
All Samford faculty and staff are encouraged to have a professional headshot for use on Samford’s website and university communications. These photos are taken outdoors by a professional photographer and there is no cost for the service.
Headshots are taken on the first Tuesday of each month from 10-10:30 a.m. in the Rose Garden, just adjacent to Harrison Theatre. There is no need to schedule an appointment in advance. In case of rain, the alternate location is at the front steps of the University Library.
- February 2
- March 2
- April 6
- May 4
- June 8
- July 6
- August 3
- September 7
- October 5
- November 2
- December 7
Third-party Photography and Videography
Images of the Samford University campus are an important part of the university’s brand. Sharing the campus beauty with the public benefits the university, but protecting the university’s images from misuse or commercial gain is important.
Third parties wishing to use our facilities for photography, videography or film must submit a written request to email@example.com for approval no less than one week prior to the requested date. The request should include date, time frame, location, number of individuals involved, number of vehicles involved, distribution plans for the images and an on-site contact person name and cell telephone number. Third parties are required to provide their own liability insurance in the following circumstances.
School groups wishing to use the university’s exterior campus locations for photographs, such as senior classes, marching bands, etc., must also submit a written request. For large shoots, please remember that significant advance notice is often required.
Once all information is received, the Division of Marketing and Communication will work with campus partners to confirm the availability of the requested space. Once approval has been granted or denied, Marketing and Communication will notify the requestor and all appropriate university offices.
Third parties must adhere to the following:
- Third party videography and photography may not disrupt normal university operations or scheduled events.
- Names of campus buildings or Samford emblems may not appear in any shots.
- Third party photography or videography is prohibited inside all campus buildings.
- Third parties must observe all university parking and safety regulations.
- If Samford University employees or students appear in any images, it is the responsibility of the third party to obtain proper release forms from those individuals.
Photography and videography of individuals on the grounds outside campus buildings for non-commercial use is permitted; however, it may not disrupt normal university operations. This might include brides, prom groups and families.
University employees providing photography or videography services on a freelance or contract basis to others are expected to adhere to these guidelines.
Photos and Video on Samford Property
Samford students and employees should have no expectation of privacy when they are in a place to which substantial group of the campus community or public has access. Examples include, but are not limited to, the Quad, campus plazas, dining facilities and recreation venues, concerts, convocations, ceremonies, community worship, commencement, and athletic events. Subject to the requirements of governing law, including the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act, as amended (FERPA), Samford photographers and videographers may capture images of people, events and campus life for publication in print, digital and social media of the university.
Also, photographers and videographers should be mindful that even though a person may be in a so-called “public space,” it can still be “a wrongful intrusion into one’s private activities, in such a manner as to outrage or cause mental suffering, shame or humiliation to a person of ordinary sensibilities.” Therefore, pictures of people in any compromised circumstance (e.g. wind blowing dress up) are not permissible.
Study Abroad Photo Tips
Use these helpful tips to take better study abroad photos.