Frequently Asked Questions

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Please contact Samford One Stop at 205-726-2905 for detailed information regarding your available aid. Students must be admitted to the program and have submitted your FAFSA prior to receiving aid. Visit Samford One Stop for more information.

Will you accept my transfer credit?

Many courses from regionally accredited schools will transfer to your degree. If you have earned an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) from a state institution with a minimum GPA of 2.0, you can enter the completer degree program and may be able to earn your bachelor's degree within two years. In the completer program, students enter with Junior status and are only required to successfully complete 68 required credit hours for graduation.

If you have not yet received your two-year degree, transfer credit will only be considered if earned at a regionally accredited institution for academic credit and a grade of C- or better was achieved. Vocational/technical classes found in some short certificate or applied science degree programs are evaluated on a case by case basis. 

While an official decision regarding the treatment of your transfer credit will not occur until after you have been accepted into Continuing Studies, our Director of Student Success can review your unofficial transcript to determine which courses are likely to transfer. Please contact Cameron Barnes to schedule a transcript review.

How long will it take me to graduate?

Continuing Studies offers courses in accelerated 8-week terms in fall and spring  semesters and two 5-week terms during summer. To be considered a full-time status student, you must complete two courses (6 hours) per term or four courses per semesters (12 hours). Students taking a full load each term, including 6 hours during the summer, can earn 30 hours in a year. If you have already earned a qualifying associate degree, you may be able to complete a bachelor’s degree within two years.

Do you accept CLEP credit?

Yes, we will accept qualifying CLEP credit. Please visit Transfer Credit for specific information on the CLEP program.

Does my work experience count for credit towards my degree?

No, although Samford does not accept work experience as credit, we can accept CLEP credit that exemplifies your prior knowledge. 

Do you offer online courses or programs?

Yes, the BA in Organizational Leadership, BA in Liberal Studies, and BS in Public Health are fully online. Our courses utilize Canvas, our learning management system, to deliver course content.

Do I have to submit test scores such as SAT or ACT?

No, we do not require standardized test scores for admission.

Do I have to submit transcripts?

Yes, students must submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. If you earned fewer than 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of credit at other institutions, you must also provide an official copy of your high school transcript.

How do I schedule an appointment?

Please contact our Recruitment Coordinator, Amy Watkins, at or 205-726-4445.

Are scholarships available for students in Continuing Studies at Samford?

Because our courses are offered at a significantly reduced rate compared to the traditional day program, generally no scholarships are awarded to Continuing Studies students through Samford University. However, some students have been successful in earning small scholarships offered through corporations, professional associations or nonprofit groups. 

I am a veteran. What benefits are available to me?

Samford is a Yellow Ribbon school and in some cases, eligible students can receive up to 100% tuition benefits. Information regarding education benefits for veterans can be found here.

How is Continuing Studies different from the "day program" at Samford?

Many of the same faculty members teach courses in both programs. The primary difference is Continuing Studies students tend to work during the day, avail themselves of fewer university resources and, therefore, can enjoy a reduced tuition rate. 

How do I register for classes?

Students are registered for classes by our Director of Student Success.