Samford’s Convocation program exists to encourage spiritual growth and development by providing worship opportunities and programming that seeks to integrate faith and learning from a distinctively Christian perspective. As a graduation requirement for all undergraduate students, Convocation reinforces Samford’s identity as a Christ-centered university and is designed to build a community at Samford with values rooted in a biblical worldview.
There are 3 primary ways to receive convocation credits at Samford.
- Campus Worship – Every Tuesday at 10 a.m. in the Wright Center the Samford community meets together for a time of worship and encouragement from God’s Word.
- Cadres – Both on campus and community cadres exist to help students grow in their faith through a small group study or service project
- Convocation Events – These events are hosted at various times and places sponsored by partnering departments around campus to help develop spiritually and academically by providing programs that integrate faith and learning.
Undergraduate students are required to complete 60 Convocation credits in order to graduate. To keep you on track, SGA established a “half by half” (30 by 64) initiative! This ultimately means that 30 Convocation credits must be completed by the time a student earns completes 64 academic credits. For most, this occurs during your junior year. Otherwise, that student will be delayed in the ability to register for classes the following semester. Convocation credit is earned when a student attends an approved event and registers through iAttended at the conclusion of the event.
Students may check their Convocation record any time through the iAttended app or their banner account. The app is used to monitor progress and keep up with all upcoming convocation events. Additionally, students receive regular email updates listing all credits required and earned. For missing credits, students must contact the Office of Spiritual Life within 30 days of the event in question.
Transfer Students Requirements
Convocation requirements are prorated for transfer students according to the schedule below. This proration includes any credit earned at a college or university or AP credit that is accepted by Samford University. Students seeking a second undergraduate degree do not have any Convocation requirements.
|Academic Transfer Credit||Credits Requirement|
|1-15 credits||60 credits|
|16-31 credits||52 credits|
|32-47 credits||44 credits|
|48-63 credits||36 credits|
|64-79 credits||28 credits|
|80-95 credits||20 credits|
|96-111 credits||12 credits|
|112-127 credits||6 credits|
|128 or more credits||0 credits|
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up my iAttended app?
- Download “iAttended” from your app store.
- Follow the prompts to sign in
- On the home screen select “enter code” and type in 1DPE which will connect you to Samford’s events
- Add then verify your Samford email – if you skip this step, your account will not work.
What should I do not if I am having trouble with my iAttended app?
- Make sure your app is updated to the most recent version
- Ensure you have granted the app access to your camera
- You must use your Samford email address and verify it through the email that iAttended sends to you.
- Email email@example.com if you are still having issues.
How are Convocation events proposed?
Staff and faculty are able to submit a proposal for a Convocation event through the Spiritual Life tab in Banner.
How is convo credit recorded at Convo Events?
Credits are exclusively tracked through iAttended. You cannot receive convocation credit if you do not have your iAttended account set up properly. At Campus Worship, a QR code will be available at the conclusion of the event to scan. If you have an issue scanning, there are OSL Event Staff available to scan you manually for credit. At other convocation events, someone will be there to scan you manually for credit when the event has finished.
What if I arrive late to Convo?
To receive credit, students must arrive within 10 minutes of the event start time. After that, you may attend the event but will not be able to receive convo credit.
What if I need to leave Convo early?
If you need to leave an event early for class, sports practice, doctor appointment, etc. you will not receive credit. You must stay for the entirety of the event to receive credit.
How are Convocation events proposed?
Staff and faculty can submit a proposal for a Convocation event through the Spiritual Life tab in Banner.
What is expected of me when I attend Convocation?
Because Convocation is a graduation requirement, students are expected to be fully present and engaged with the speaker, program, worship team, etc. Studying or the use of cell phones, headphones, and laptops is not permitted during the Convocation event.
What if I don’t see credit for an event I recently attended?
You must contact the Office of Spiritual Life within 30 days of the event in order to be considered for credit.
I am a transfer student. What if my required number of convocation credits is incorrect?
Required credits are based on transferred academic credits established by the Office of the Registrar. Please contact them with any related questions.