The Samford University Office of Research is committed to the highest standards of integrity in fulfilling its mission to expand human knowledge and benefit society through research. This is accomplished by providing a range of services in support of all research activities undertaken by faculty, staff, and students at Samford University. Our activities include:
- Providing central research administration from proposal submission, through contract development and negotiation, to project closeout with the services of the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Supporting a culture of ethical research and compliance by providing guidance and oversight in such areas as the protection of human and animal subjects, research integrity, and conflict of interest management.
- Overseeing research policy, including research compliance, guidelines for faculty and student researchers, and other areas.
- Advocating for student research programs and supporting efforts across all colleges and schools.
- Creating opportunities through internal funding that aims to strategically stimulate new endeavors in research programs and scholarly activities.
Geography Conference Showcases Student Research
Sarah Grumulaitis’ project—Food Deserts in Birmingham, AL: Location, Suitability, and Access to Potential Urban Gardens—earned first place in the undergraduate research poster presentation category.
George Presents Research at International Conference
The project–"University students and caregiver support: An investigation of the support-seeking behaviors among university students experiencing distress"–is a collaboration with department colleagues Betsy Emmons and Nia Johnson.
Wiget Earns $70,000 Research Grant
The grant from the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund will fund nine summer research students and cover material costs over three years of a research project.
Samford Computer Science Students Hack Their Way to the Top
Students in Samford University’s Department of Math and Computer Science make impressive strides in developing competitive career skills. Samford teams including students Gabriela Hoefer and Anisha Nizar Ali earned five awards in a year at multiple computer science competitions and professional conferences.
Samford Faculty, Students Publish Research in Journal of Organic Chemistry
Faculty-led research with student collaborators is the distinctive focus of Samford University’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The immersive, one-on-one experience creates opportunities for professional networking and publication in peer-reviewed journals, and helps open the doors to graduate education and careers. Student and faculty researchers made that point clear this summer by publishing two research articles in The Journal of Organic Chemistry.