The Samford University Office of Research is committed to the highest standards of integrity in fulfilling its mission to expand human knowledge and benefit society through research. This is accomplished by providing a range of services in support of all research activities undertaken by faculty, staff, and students at Samford University. Our activities include:
- Providing central research administration from proposal submission, through contract development and negotiation, to project closeout with the services of the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Supporting a culture of ethical research and compliance by providing guidance and oversight in such areas as the protection of human and animal subjects, research integrity, and conflict of interest management.
- Overseeing research policy, including research compliance, guidelines for faculty and student researchers, and other areas.
- Advocating for student research programs and supporting efforts across all colleges and schools.
- Creating opportunities through internal funding that aims to strategically stimulate new endeavors in research programs and scholarly activities.
We All Have a Story To Tell: Students Explore the Intersection of Faith and History
Is it possible to write objective history? Nine Samford students wrestled with that idea in a special topics course on Faith and History this year.
Mentors Open Doors to Unexpected Careers
Forrest Courtney came to Samford with thoughts of a career in law. Although he was a lifeguard, a career in the ocean would have seemed far-fetched. He didn’t like to wade past his waist on family visits to the beach. “I saw Jaws way too early,” he joked. Now the geography major is a certified professional diver and researcher with an impressive record of coral reef preservation.
Samford Chosen as Potential Host for Science and Religion Fellowships
Samford University is one of 20 institutions selected as a potential host for prestigious three-year postdoctoral research fellowships in the field of science and religion, based at the University of Edinburgh’s School of Divinity.
Samford History Students Earn Colonial Dames Honors
Samford history students earned $6,000 in cash for their participation in the 2019 American Independence Awards, sponsored by the Alabama Society of The National Society of Colonial Dames in America (NSCDA) in April.
Undergraduate Research Fair Reveals Fascinating Topics, New Perspectives
Samford University’s Howard College of Arts and Sciences hosted its second annual Undergraduate Research Fair April 12. The fair, organized by Howard College of Arts and Sciences Associate Dean Emily Hynds and sponsored by the John Howard Scholars, featured projects by individual students and groups of students, all guided by expert faculty advisors.