We look forward to hosting Samford families and friends on campus September 23-25, for Family Weekend! The schedule for the many activities planned for the weekend can be found below.
Family Weekend registration is now closed. Even though classes and meals are full, there are still plenty of open events and opportunities for your family to enjoy campus together!
Family Weekend Schedule
Thursday, September 22
7 p.m. Pre-Family Weekend Event - David Garrard, Magician and Samford Alumnus, Wright Center
(Free event with tickets: Reserve tickets here.)
Friday, September 23
11-2 p.m. Study Abroad Fair, Ben Brown Plaza
12-7 p.m. Family Weekend Check-in, Ben Brown Plaza
1-2 p.m. Family Academy, Check Guidebook app for locations
Open-class options for families to attend together:
- Session One: Story Time with the School of Education for ages 5-10
- Location: Orlean Bullard Beeson Hall, 3rd Floor
- Instructor: Dean Anna McEwan
- Description: Dean Anna McEwan invites children ages 5-10 to let their imaginations soar as they listen to the dramatic reading of children’s literature selections. Parents are welcome to attend with their child.
- Session Two: Live Recording of The Two Testaments Podcast
- Location: Dwight Beeson Hall, Brock Forum
- Instructor: Bill Kynes and Will Kynes, hosted by Rony Kozman
- Description: How can we respond to adversity with faith? How can we teach our children to persevere when life is hard? Will Kynes and Rony Kozman, professors in Samford’s Department of Biblical and Religious Studies, will discuss the challenging and ultimately comforting answers the book of Job offers to these pressing questions in this special live episode of their podcast, The Two Testaments. Demonstrating the vital influence of parent-child relationships, they will be joined by Will’s father, Bill Kynes, who has thirty-six years of pastoral experience. Will and Bill have written a book on Job together, Wrestling with Job: Defiant Faith in the Face of Suffering (IVP Academic, 2022).
- Session Three: The Soundtrack for Safety Both On or Off-Campus: How to be Safe and Self-Aware While Navigating New Places and New Experiences
- Location: Reid Chapel
- Instructor: Chief Tommy Taylor and Lisa W. Overton, JD
- Description: Situational awareness and being safety-minded are key skillsets for students to always practice, regardless of their location. These proactive approaches hold true whether living on or off campus, or even traveling the globe. Life can be filled with adventures, new experiences, interacting with new and different cultures, all the while appreciating the differences that make all of us unique. Being mindful, proactively aware of your surroundings, and taking the necessary steps for a safe experience are all key components of making the most of each day and every experience. In this session, attendees will learn to be more safety-conscious and self-aware, more easily recognize potentially dangerous situations, and better understand sound safety protocols.
- Session Four: Create the Soundtrack for Your Life: Leading Yourself to Leading Others
- Location: Brock School of Business, Cooney Hall, Regions Room
- Instructor: Dr. Kate McCombs
- Description: Everyone practices self-leadership, but not everyone does so effectively. In this class we will discuss the concept of self-leadership and cognitive and behavioral strategies to lead yourself to excellence. If our students are able to lead themselves, they will be in a solid position to effectively lead others. Be ready to get involved and interact - and maybe you will walk away with not only a snapshot of the Brock School of Business, but also a better understanding of yourself as a self- leader!
- Session Five: Special Event for Collegiate Partners
- Information will be emailed separately to Collegiate Partners.
2-5 p.m. Open Campus and Special School Events
Locations will be posted at a later date and will be available in the Guidebook app.
- Brock School of Business: Self-guided tour, 2-5 p.m.
- Cumberland School of Law: Pre-law Coffee and Q&A, 2-3 p.m., hosted by Dean Blake Hudson and Pre-Law Advisor, Dr. Marissa A. Grayson
- Howard College of Arts and Sciences: Coffee & Tea with the Dean, 2-3 p.m., hosted by Dean Timothy Hall
- Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing: Tea with the Dean, 2-3 p.m., hosted by Dean Melondie Reeves Carter, followed by an Open House
- Orlean Beeson School of Education: Self-guided tour, 2-5 p.m.
- School of the Arts: Coffee with the Dean, 2-3 p.m., hosted by Interim Dean Larry Thompson, followed by self-guided tour of newly renovated Buchanan Hall
- School of Health Professions: Coffee with the Dean, 3-4 p.m., hosted by Dean Alan Jung
- School of Public Health: Open House and Refreshments with the Dean, 2:30-3:30 p.m., hosted by Dean Melissa Lumpkin
2:15 p.m. Sibling Tour, Office of Admission
Registration is required.
3:30 - 5 p.m. Pops and Pics with the President and First Lady, Brewer Plaza
This is a free event with registration. Popsicles will be served.
5:30 p.m. Vespers Service, Reid Chapel
This is a free event, but seating is limited.
6-7:30 p.m. Tacos on The Quad
Enjoy tacos, rice, black beans, chips, and salsa, catered by local favorite, Little Donkey.
Pre-purchased armbands are required and may be picked up at Check In.
6 p.m. Samford Women's Soccer vs. Citadel, Shauna Yelton Field at the Samford Track & Soccer StadiumCelebrate senior night and the 25th anniversary of Samford Women's Soccer.
7:30 p.m. Jon Acuff, Wright Center
This is a brand-new Family Weekend special feature. Registration is encouraged.
Saturday, September 24
7:30-8:15 a.m. Prayer Walk, Mr. Beeson's Statue
8 a.m. – noon Family Weekend Check-in, Ben Brown Plaza
8:30-10 a.m. Parents Association Annual Meeting and Breakfast, Seibert Gym
Come and eat! Good food provided from local favorites, Magic Muffin and The Flying Biscuit.
Come and vote! Select your favorite project to support with our Parents Association funds.
Come and hear exciting plans from President Taylor!
Come and be inspired by the impact of the Parents Scholarship.
Pre-purchased armbands are required and may be picked up at Check In. This event has limited seating for parents only.
10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Live Music with Lakeshore Commercial Music Band, The Quad
11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Tailgate on the Quad
- Parents Association Barbecue Lunch
The Office of Parent and Family Programs is pleased to offer lunch under the large Family Weekend tent on the Quad. Lunch will be a traditional BBQ tailgate meal catered by local favorite, Jim 'N Nick's. Pre-purchased armbands are required and may be picked up at Check In.
- State and Regional Parent Chapter Tents
Meet and greet across state lines. This is a free event with registration.
Show your state pride, wear the state t-shirt, and enjoy snacks and drinks.
- Greek Life and Student Organization Tents
12 p.m. Bulldog Walk, The Quad
Bulldog Walk is a proud tradition at Samford University Tailgate. It begins 2 hours before kickoff during all home games. Bulldog Walk begins at the South entrance of the University Center and ends at Sullivan-Cooney Family Fieldhouse. Bulldog Walk features the football team, coaches, cheerleaders, and band.
2 p.m. Samford Football, Seibert Stadium
Tickets will be available mid-August at Samfordsports.com.
Reserved seats are available on the West side of Seibert Stadium only.
Sunday, September 25
1 p.m. Samford Women's Soccer vs. Mercer Shauna Yelton Field at the Samford Track & Soccer Stadium
2 p.m. Hymn Sing, Reid Chapel
An annual Samford tradition, Hymn Sing is an afternoon of congregational singing of hymns and gospel songs selected by audience participants. This event, sponsored by the School of the Arts, is free and open to the Samford community and public.
2 p.m. Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing White Coat Ceremony, Wright Center
As you plan, know that attire is casual throughout the weekend. Shorts and t-shirts are appropriate at all indoor and outdoor events, as it may likely be very hot.
Refund policies on football tickets can be found on the Samford Sports Web site.
Refunds for Family Weekend meals are:
- Registrations cancelled prior to September 10: 100% refund
- Registrations cancelled between September 11 and September 16: 50% refund
- Registrations cancelled September 16 and later: No refund
Please email email@example.com with questions.
* Samford exclusively reserves the right to relocate, modify, alter the conditions of attendance, reschedule or cancel any event up to the time of that event.
Below are links to area hotels offering blocks of rooms at a discounted rate for Samford families visiting Birmingham during Family Weekend.
Mountain Brook/ Homewood
- Aloft Birmingham Soho Square (call hotel by August 1, 205-874-8055, for Samford Family Weekend rate)
- Courtyard Birmingham Homewood (reserve by August 24)
I-459/ Liberty Park
- Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park (call hotel, 205-503-5220, for Samford Family Weekend rate)
Mountain Brook/ Homewood
- Grand Bohemian Mountain Brook, Autograph Collection
- Aloft Birmingham Soho Square
- Courtyard Birmingham Homewood
- Valley Hotel Homewood, Curio Collection by Hilton (call hotel, 205-354-0171, for Samford discount rate)
- SpringHill Suites Colonnade Grandview
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Colonnade/ Grandview
- Marriott Birmingham
- Elyton Hotel
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown
- SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
I-459/ Liberty Park
- Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park (call hotel, 205-503-5220, for Samford discounted rate)/li>