Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Started+

How and when do I apply for housing?

A housing file will be created for you after you have confirmed your acceptance of admission by returning the enrollment confirmation form with payment of the required $250 admission deposit. Once the deposit is received, you will be sent a housing application that should be completed and returned as soon as possible. The application must be completed by the student.

Can I view my assigned room before Move-In Day?

Because we are moving previous residents out of rooms and preparing rooms for incoming arrivals, rooms are not ready for view until Move In Day.

What furniture will be in my room when I arrive?

Each student is provided with a twin bed, chest of drawers, desk or writing table with lamp, desk chair and closet space. Students may not substitute personal furniture for these items. Furniture may not be moved from room to room, or out of the lobbies and public areas of the residence halls.

What are the dimensions of the room and/or furniture?

Select your residence hall for the facility layout containing diagrams and measurements.

What is the mailing address of a student living in a residence hall?

Jonathan Smith
Samford University
P.O. Box 29XXXX
Birmingham, AL 35229
Once admitted to the university, information about your specific post office box can be found by logging on to the Samford Portal using your user name and password.

What happens if a student is locked out of his/her room?

The student should contact his/her resident assistant in order to be let into the room. If the resident assistant is unavailable, he/she should contact the assigned area office.

What do I do if I lose my key?

Contact your resident assistant or area office to request a new key. The RLE for the area will complete the steps to order a new key. Charges for the new key will be added to the student’s account.
Replacement costs:
$50 for a room key
$100 for an exterior key

Whom do I call if I have a maintenance concern?

Submit maintenance requests/concerns to your resident assistant, area office, or to Facility Services (extension 2711).

Where can I get a parking permit?

All motor vehicles operated on campus must be registered with the Department of Transportation Services. A zone parking system is maintained to provide parking for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

May I stay in my room through the holiday breaks?

Residence halls will officially close three times during the academic year: Thanksgiving, Christmas and spring break. At the end of each semester, students, except those participating in some way with commencement, are expected to vacate campus housing within 24 hours after their last exam. A list of exact closing dates is found in the student handbook. Please keep these dates in mind as you make your travel arrangements in advance.

May residents of a residence hall have overnight visitors?

Students may have visitors of the same sex visit provided they have cleared it with the staff and their roommate. All visitors are subject to Samford University rules and policies, and it is the responsibility of the host to make guests aware of all student rules and policies. Visitors of the opposite gender may visit during scheduled hours of the week. All visitors must sign in at the area office and receive a guest pass.

May residents have visitors of the opposite sex in their rooms?

Students may have visitors of the opposite sex in their rooms at designated times provided they follow the visitation guidelines.

Are students required to purchase a meal plan?

All students living in the residence halls are required to purchase a meal plan. Freshmen and first-year students are required to purchase the 19-meal plan regardless of credit hours accrued. A 12-meal plan is offered to students who have earned at least 24 credits or in second year of residency. A seven-meal plan is offered to students who have earned more than 64 credits.

Can I change my meal plan?

All students must follow the meal plan requirements based on the number of credits earned, year of residency and location of residency. If you qualify for a smaller meal plan, you have until the first Friday after classes begin to make a reduction. You may add or increase a meal plan at any time. Call the Residence Life Office—205-726-2956—to adjust your plan. If you have a medical condition with nutritional considerations, please contact Disability Services, 205-726-4078, for permission to alter meal plan requirements.

What services are provided by Public Safety?

See the Public Safety website for information about the services they provide.

Where can I find information on Campus Recreation?

See the Campus Recreation website for information.


When are rooms and roommates assigned?

Specific room and roommate assignments for entering freshmen are made in July preceding the start of the fall term. This is done to allow students who meet each other at the summer orientations an opportunity to request each other as roommates. It also minimizes the number of revisions that have to be made due to change in prospective students’ plans. You will receive your room and roommate assignments in early August.

What determines my priority placement for room assignment?

By returning the enrollment confirmation form and paying the required $250 deposit, your Samford enrollment is confirmed. The date of your confirmation determines your priority placement. If you request a specific roommate, the earlier of your or their priority date will be used. Certain students with special needs, such as disability or medical condition, may be given higher priority consideration.

Will I be able to change rooms after Move In Day?

Yes. A room change day will be announced via e-mail about a month after move in. Students will receive information and procedures for changing room assignments.

What housing is used for entering freshmen?

The majority of freshmen are housed in the Central Campus Housing Area . Vail and Pittman halls house freshmen females, Smith Hall houses males. In the event more spaces are needed, overflow students will be housed in Beeson Woods or West Campus.

Can I request a particular room?

Students can request to room with a particular person. However, specific room requests cannot be honored unless a student possesses a specific medical situation/condition that requires consideration for a room with a private bath (request will be honored on specific needs and availability).

What do I do about roommate conflicts?

Living in a residence hall is a learning experience for each student. Students are encouraged to work out roommate conflicts among themselves. However, resident assistants, resident managers and the residence life coordinators are also a good resource in resolving roommate conflicts.

How can I change rooms?

Room changes are not common. If a student desires to change rooms, then he/she should speak to the residence life coordinator for his/her assigned area.

What to Bring+

Can I decorate and personalize my room?

Students are allowed to personalize their rooms, but within certain limitations. Your room should reflect personalities and tastes, and both residents should agree on how the room is to be decorated. The limitations placed by Samford University generally prohibit anything that causes a permanent change or damage to the room for future residents. Decoration should also keep with the values Samford holds. You must secure approval from Residence Life for any decoration or personalization that you plan to make in your room.

What should I use as adhesive to put posters on my walls?

Adhering posters and other decorations to the walls should not damage or compromise the paint or structure of the walls. Residence Life recommends using Plasti-Tak and/or Command Hooks by 3M.

What personal items may I bring?

You will receive a list of items you may bring at orientation. However, items such as a small refrigerator, microwave, TV and stereo are permitted. You should remember, however, that space is limited. You should coordinate with your roommate and not bring two of each of the above items. Freshmen are allowed to have personal cars at Samford.

What items are prohibited?

Candles, pets, weapons, alcoholic beverages, halogen lamps, sharp knives, toaster oven/toaster, furniture, charcoal grill and any appliance with an exposed burner are prohibited in the residence halls. The student handbook and residence hall housing agreement provide a complete list of prohibited items.

May I bring my belongings to campus early?

Students may not bring any items or themselves to campus prior to the move-in date.

Are there phones in each room?

Some student rooms are provided with phone jacks. Local calling service is provided. Students need to bring a telephone and answering machine. If a student desires long-distance calling access on his phone, he will need to contact Telecommunication Services to obtain a long-distance access code. All rooms are provided with wireless internet.

Is there internet access in every room?

Internet connection is available for each student but requires an Ethernet card and cable. Contact Technology Services—205-726-2662—for additional information. Computer labs are also located in various buildings throughout campus. The hours are posted in each lab.

Are there kitchens in the residence halls?

Most residence halls do have kitchens.

Where are laundry facilities located?

Laundry facilities are in each residence hall. The cost for laundry is included in the student’s room rate.

Where do I pick up my mail?

Student mailboxes and the post office are located in the Ralph Waldo Beeson University Center.

Is there cable TV on campus?

Cable TV is provided in each residence hall room. However, only one cable jack is in each room, so roommates may want to discuss bringing a TV/VCR/DVD player.

Move In+

How do I get my bed lofted?

Most students use Collegiate Bed Loft Company services. Their number is 205-978-5876. If called in advance, they can usually have your bed lofted by the time you arrive on Move-In Day. You may also loft the beds yourself using bought or built supplies. Samford University does not loft beds and does not provide lofting materials. Please remember that no furniture may be removed from the room and no nails may be driven into the furniture.